Changing to reef tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Felcon, 17 Oct 2008.

1. Felcon

Felcon

Hi Everyone

I am intrested in changing this tank i have into a Reef tank. I would like all the help i can get as i am new to this but always dreamed of doing this. The tank is a 450l and is a fresh water tank.

So where do i start ... ? ... directions please ...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa
    well there are a lot of things to consider, what are you wanting to have? fish only, soft corals, lps, or SPS? SPS require better skimming, stronger lights and more flow. so first off what are you looking for?

4. Felcon

Felcon Thread Starter

Reefer to be

Hi Thanx for the quick reply

I would like fish and coral and animals of all sorts. this is what i have now. So maybe you can tell me where to start first.

Regards [​IMG]

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Felcon (on a BEAUTIFUL sunny day in Cape Town! LOL).....

Please elaborate on what type of tank you currently have - what it is/was being used for (exactly). Have you ever used copper based medicine's in the tank before?

Also - to "convert" this tank to marine, you will have to think of the following as well:
    - having the tank drilled (or DIY) for a down-pipe (durso down-pipe or similar)
    - building an overflow in
    - getting a sump for the marine tank as well
    - purchasing live rock
    - getting the correct substrate
    - whether you will be using NSW (natural sea water - from either 2 Oceans Aquarium, or perhaps the Research Aquarium, or collecting the water yourself), or using synthetic salt and RO filtered water (Reverse Osmosis)
    - purchasing a decent skimmer
    - upgrading the lighting to either a few T5's or perhaps even metal halides (corals require quite high wattage and high output lighting)
    - purchasing some decent in-tank water-flow pumps (ie. SEIO, ReSun Wavers, Boyu Wavers, or perhaps even Tunze) (these give very wide dispersed water flow, instead of jet-stream like directed flow - where the prior is far better than the latter)....
    - etc....

Perhaps also investigate selling this tank and purchasing one from a LFS that actually builds tanks. Sam's Aquarium sells some very nice tanks (excluding sumps, lighting, etc) for +-R300-R400 (saw that last weekend)....

Good luck mate!

6. Felcon

Felcon Thread Starter

The tank

Hi cant sell it is built into the wall ... we just moving into the House about 7 months back and this was there. I have uploded the image but its not posting in this tread?

[​IMG]

7. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

The images are showing, all 3 of them.:wave2:

What is underneath the tank ?
    Is their anyway of putting a sump "tank" under this tank.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum Felcon, very nice tank you have got there, will look great as a marine tank :)

9. jacquesb

AWESOME looking tank. I can imagine it being a BRILLIANT reef tank! ;-)

BUT - you will have to investigate the other options I suggested - and as Thalion requested: any space for a sump?

10. Felcon

Felcon Thread Starter

YEa there is space .. This is what the whole thing looks like .. so i could put a sump tank in the bottom there is also a cavity behine the tank. It looks bad but i am only getting around to this now .. Had other stuff i had to do first ..you know the Wife comes first ..then the kids ...then me ...!

The stuff in the tank is dead ... i think it was all artificial ... they had glass objects in it and marbles and stuff plus they put see shells into it and quarts rock that they got from scratch Patch i gess ... also there is Crushed rock inside the tank ... you know the stuff you line your Path with or your drive way .. is it here ... i think i may find a shoe or tire next!

also they put a sky light in directly above the tank .. so you get direct sunlight into the tank for about 6 hours a day.

So i dont have any history on this tank except what i have doen for the last 7 months ... feed the fish!

I would like a living tank not a dead one ...

[​IMG]

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

you could do some serious stuff with that kind of space!

12. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Is their space behind the bricks.
    Can you remove the tank and paint the back glass?

13. Felcon

Felcon Thread Starter

Thas the idea .. i dont mind putting cash and effort into it i am looking forward to the challenge .. i have attach the other two images. But now i need some real guidance ... and some type of tutorial on how to get started .. if there is any.

I need you guys out there with experiance to give me a good direction to start moving in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Felcon

Felcon Thread Starter

yes i can access the back ..but i would not take the tank out ...:whistling:

15. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

You will need to add some sort of over flow so that you can have a sump.
    Can make use of ABS sheeting and silicon it to the back glass, or do you want to see the bricks?

Is the back outside or in?

16. Falcon

Falcon

cool man a skylight tank!!!!!natural light will make your corals grow crazy...i say hang on two metal halides for lighting but 14000k or 16000k...
    oh and welcome bro....;)

17. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA, that will make an awsum set up. In a situation like this i would use an overflow box to get the water down into your sump.

18. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Looks great tank to work with, firstly have a clear out, give tha tank a good scrub with a sterilizer like miltons (for babies bottles etc) then a rinse through with water and dry it out, then we can start to work through then design and equipment you will need.

19. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

Welkom To MASA FALKON.
    YOU can maar listen to these guy's they now there stuff!! I'm also new to this but learnd a lot from them the last 2 weeks.

20. Felcon

Felcon Thread Starter

Cool ... so the cleanup starts this weekend .... will take picks as i go along .. Miltons you say .. i passed that point 4 years ago ..but will buy and scrub the tank .. any place i can buy a overfow box in Cape town

21. jacquesb

Felcon - you can try Sam's Aquarium in Bergvliet (one of our sponsors).
    Alternatively (not sure if they will have stock though) - Aqua Concepts, or Northern Aquatics......

Recent Posts