Changing sumps

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Dolphinfriendly, 14 Dec 2011.

1. Dolphinfriendly

Dolphinfriendly

Hi,

I am about to redo my sump to incorporate a DSB and a bigger skimmer (trying to move up to a reef tank).
    I currently have a 1.2m FOWLR tank with about 15-20KG's of live rock.
    The tank will be without a sump for about 48 hours while the sump is glued and cured.
    Obviously this poses a problem for my fish who will be without a proper filter for a while. If I were to remove the biological filter media (crushed coral) and place it in a large net in the display tank with a powerhead running water over it and then place it back in the sump until the new media is colonised by bacteria, would the fish cope?

I am selling a few fish to reduce the Bio-Load. The fish that will remain in the tank are a scopa tang, striped bristle-tooth tang, three small perc clowns and a cleaner wrasse. Could I keep them in the tank during the change?

Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi, some will flame me for this, but there are other options to a dsb :)

but yes you can keep your fish and not have to sell any... provided we cater for the ammonia
    now one can use prodibio ammo stop and start, or stability and prime, or special blend and nite-out II

you dose a day before, the morning of the move, then the next day, then when you add your sump and for a week or 2 after as a mini cycle will start. then do a water change of about 20% and things should be fine

also why not add a remote DSB, easy no mods and work just as well

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree with Dallas. Seachem stability works, ask @Jeann1, he was without a sump for quite some time and then some more :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Dolphinfriendly

Dolphinfriendly Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,
    I'll see if I can get my hands on some of those additives.

The reason that I want the DSB in the sump is that I am redoing the sump as the current one is, as my friend put it, "too old fashioned" and just thought that now would be a good time to add in a DSB while everything is out of water. space is also a limiting factor, a remote DSB might be too big to fit in the cabinet with the sump.

6. Jeann1

Jeann1

i was sumpless for about 6 weeks.... and now all is good.. used seachem stability and had no problems

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Important to remember to aerate the water whilst the sump is off line. One of the most important functions of a sump is oxygenation of water due to the breaking action of water as falls into overflow and into sump.

I wouls NOT advise hanging the crushed coral in a basket in the tank though.

Aerate and add stability.

8. Dolphinfriendly

Is seachem stability common at most LFS's or will I have to order?

9. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

10. Dolphinfriendly

I'm sure that I can find at least one of the brands. I'm going to do the change this week and I'm getting the skimmer on Monday.

Recent Posts