changing over substrate

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 11 Sep 2009.

1. magman

magman

I need to change the substrate in the DT, I currently have coral chips, but want to change to argonite. I was thinking of placing the argonite in the DT in plastic bowls for a few weeks just to become active, then removing the coral.

What is the best method to swop over though? I will have coral chips under the rocks etc, would I have to remove rocks etc. Also how may kilos for a 1830x610 DT, I would prefer to go 3cm's deep.

Cheers:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Magman - best to do it over a period of a few weeks..... remove a few hand-fuls from your time, and then slowly replace these "empty areas" with the new substrate.
    This will give the bacteria chance to migrate from the existing substrate to the new substrate.....

4. Tony

Tony

You could also remove a section of the DT's substrate and replace it. Leave it for a week and then replace another section till you're finished

5. Hermanus

Hermanus

I done that, changed from Coral sand to arigonate. Done it section for section and yes under the LR as well, do it over two Mont's if you can, I'f done it over one moth and don't think my arigonate where seeded properly after 4 weeks:)

For my 1800 X 600 I got 25kg and it filled it 1-2 cm thik so u will need 2 x 25kg.

6. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Do as the guys mentioned. Also try and soak the Aragonite for a few days in RO water, doing regular water changes to rid off any phosphates that might be present. However if you using a brand like Caribsea, it wouldnt be necessary :)

Recent Posts