Changing from DSB

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by ScottK, 23 Oct 2011.

1. ScottK

ScottK

I have decided to remove my DSB and move to either NeoZeo, Neovit or NP Pellets.

My system isn't that big, around 200L's with the display being 140L. I'm in the process of moving house and had to move my sump, needless to say with the DSB this is a bit of a pain. I am also very limited with space in my sump and think my DSB is probably not big enough to give maximum benifit.

Which of the above methods would be best to replace my DSB and ATS?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Once you have moved house you can reattach the sump without the DSB. You can currently remove the DSB by disconnecting the sump and yanking out the sand and cleaning the sump. Reconnect the sump, add salt water and let it run through the system. The best would be to add zeolite to your system to absorb any ammonia or add an ammonia remover like the Seachem Amguard. You ATS can just be disconnected. Now you need to watch your system for an increase in nutrients, especially ammonia as you are removing your DSB and ATS. A high dose of bacteria like prodibio or stability will help with your nutrients along with carbon dosing to boost the populations. You can do this a week or two before removing your DSB and ATS. You will also have to watch your nutrients once you have moved your tank as you can get an ammonia spike once you put everything back in the tank. The amguard is perfect for this along with more bacteria additions

Now, why do you want an ULNS system? Is it because you want to go with SPS corals?

4. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

It's not that I want a ULNS right now, would love to go SPS in the future. Right now I want to maximise filtration for the space I have and try and keep it reasonably tidy.

My sump is a standrad 2ft daro, with the skimmer, DSB, ATS, reactor for carbon/phosmedia, heaters etc it just looks messy. Not to mention the weight the DSB adds making it really difficult to move. My plan is to remove the DSB and have two reactors, one for Zeo and one for carbon.

After some reading I think the Zeo route is more suited for my needs, NP pellets seems to be a highly debated topic at the moment.
    I have alrady done one half of my move. Had to put all my stuff in storage and will be living elsewhere for 6 weeks untill the transfer on my new house has gone through.

Is there any need to run the DSB for a couple of weeks while the NeoZeo/Vit media gets populated with bacteria or should I just clean out the sump and start straight off with the Zeo?

I am currently dosing biodigest every 2 weeks. I bought some Stability and Prime to dose specifically for the move to ensure any die off in my LR and sand bed wouldn't cause havoc.

5. Tony

Tony

Will you totally dismantle your tank and start fresh or are you going to move it when you move house and just add everything back at your new place?

The zeo route is a much better option but it requires that the stones are in a reactor with a max flow of about 450lph. The stones need to be flushed once or twice a day to release the excess bacteria and feed your corals. The zeolite stones work well with bacteria additions. use the products I mentioned.

It would be better to run the stones for a week or two to populated them with bacteria but depending on your nutrients you must slowly add the stones as they absorb ammonia and can cause a sudden drop in nutrients in a nutrient high system. If your nitrates and phosphates are already low then you can add the full dose of stones (instructions on the box) and disconnect your ATS to remove one form of nutrients export.

The biodigest regime is perfect and the stability is a similar product. Keep the prime in case of ammonia spikes but that shouldnt happen with the zeolite stones.

ScottK likes this.
  6. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

I will dismantle and put everything back together when I move, want to get rid of the DSB before I move again to make it a little easier.

I am planning on getting a reef octo reactor, it's not a specific Zeo reactor so how would I flush the stones? I think it comes with a 500lph pump.

I have biodigest, stability and reef biofuel, do I need anything else?

7. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

@Tony Thanks for all the advice. Bought the Reef Octo Zeolith reactor and some Zeovit stones, will get everything up and running this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Tony

Tony

Remember you must add the stone slowly if your nutrients are high. Check the pump size on the reactor. My first reactor came with a 2000lph pump. Why, I dont know. I had to spend another R400-00 on new plumbing and 500lph pump

9. ScottK

ScottK Thread Starter

Luckily the reactor came with a 500 lph pump.

I added the recommended 500g of stones for my water volume. My system wasn't running with high nutrients but I wouldn't say they were low or ultra low either, I hope I haven't gone with too much too quickly.

I was already running some ammonia removing stones in another reactor that I will be changing for carbon in a week or so.

Should I take some of the Zeo stones out this evening?

10. Tony

Tony

Leave the stones and watch your tank. If the corals so signs of stress, bleaching or looking unhappy, then remove some of the stones, otherwise leave them. The ammonia remover stones were probably zeolite stones already which helped reduce your nutrients

Recent Posts