[wtd] Chaeto with pods in randburg/jhb area

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Barlan, 19 Sep 2013.

1. Barlan

Barlan

Hi all

Firstly, apologies if i should've used an older thread for this request, this is my first wanted post :) :thumbup:

I'm looking for chaeto with pods for my sump to feed my mandarin.

if anyone has any to donate or sell, please PM me.

I'd like chaeto and not caulerpa as i dont want to risk it turning sexual and wiping out my tank. I'm still a marine noob. :blush:

Thanks i advance.

B

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quintin

Quintin

Can help you with caulerpa and pods about as long as a 10 cent coin that grow in it.
    Have had it in my sump for yonks with the light running 24/7 and never had an issue with it.

4. OP
    Barlan

Barlan

Thanks for the offer Quintin, just worried about the caulerpa going sexual. I would prefer cheato atm. hope there is someone out there with some for me :D

Thanks again

5. OP
    Barlan

Barlan

Hi all, just an update.

Chaeto seems to be very rare now a days, maybe its not the "season", but anyways, we managed to find some at our local lfs, purely by luck really. This time, curiosity served the cat!!! :)

So with a light bulb in place and chaeto in the sump, i'm hoping all will go well and it will flourish.

We plan to get a timer to switch the light off while the DT is on, and visa versa. Not really sure what the main reason behind this method is, but i think it has something to do with PH levels as light increases the PH. Pls add more info, i am clueless as to the details here.

I've also put a small branch of chaeto into the RSM with the corals, give it a chance to flourish while we get the water params in check in the other tank for the corals. And there will be more pods for my mandarin!

i will update if anything comes up.

Thanks all for the offers of caulerpa (including other posts), but we, being new to the hobby, still prefer to take the safer route :)

B

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yes, if your sump is on a reverse lighting cycle then it helps to stop the ph from dropping too much overnight.

7. OP
    Barlan

Barlan

Thanks viper setup the timer earlier tonight :D

Recent Posts