Chaeto vs calupera

Mekaeel

Reaction score
awrite crew what are the differences between chaeto and calupera.and also the actuall benefits from both

Good question... I've heard that you shouldn't have both as they fight for nutrients, not sure how true that is

Maybe, but not both in the same "compartment", separated completly;). Otherwise they will not just fight "for" nutrients but they will just fight to:beatdeadhorse5:

All I can say about this is that once you get Caulerpa in your setup, it's very hard to get rid of. It just keep coming back. Chaeto IMO is the way to go because it is easy to get rid of if you want. I also heard that there is less chance of Chaeto going sexual than Caulerpa.

Them fighting for nutrients is not my concern. I used to have caulerpa in my old fuge, and after i removed it, my corals grew faster.
My main concern with caulerpa is it going sexual. All the nutrients which it absorbed will then be re released into tank in one foul sweep!
Caulerpa going sexual can be avoided by keeping it in a 24 hour lit fuge, but there are more concerns..........
Also caulerpa releases a yellowing compound in the water, (gelvin i think) This will reduce penetration of light to corals! This can be avoided by using carbon to remove the yellowing compound.
Another compound released by caulerpa is the "toxin" caulerpin.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6T4G-3W259NS-1&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F31%2F1996&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=2061cca5d07923d3cce14915dc1ab1c1
This toxin is redily adsorbed by carbon as well.

Can't seem to find much negative info on chaeto though.

Chaeto won't attach to rocks, won't go sexual, won't release toxins, won't spread to your display, is easy to remove should you need to and is easy to prune. Apart from this, I read somewhere that caulerpa is unicellular and could "leak" nutriants should it be broken or cut (seems a bit weird).

Both work well for nutrient export but as Ivan and Afaqua Cheato has more benefits and is the safer bet.

No consequences. The cheato will just pick up where the caulerpa leaves off.

Cool no problem.

I can hook you up with a handful, don't have much spare at the moment.
Grows fairly quickly though.
Sundays a good day, Big Rugby on Saturday ;)

Think we all need to thank Dean for all the Cheato in this country. He was the first guy to get some sent to him from overseas and if I’m not mistaken all the Cheato in our tanks originally came from the small amount that he brought in.

Hay Ant, Nudi and I will be at the Rugby as well:slayer: :1:

Think we all need to thank Dean for all the Cheato in this country. He was the first guy to get some sent to him from overseas and if I’m not mistaken all the Cheato in our tanks originally came from the small amount that he brought in.

Hay Ant, Nudi and I will be at the Rugby as well:slayer: :1:

lol I remeber that.. came in a little vacuum packed baggie. It raised enough suspiscion at the collection counter for them to conduct a cavity search. He's never been the same since :lol:

Good stuff - Viva the Sharks !!!

gee Thanks Andrew :blushing:

This is how it all started, 12 days in the post in this little bag all the way from the UK

chaetopacket.jpg

chaeto.jpg

Back
Top Bottom