Chaeto in sump - Yes, No?

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Benanna, 8 May 2011.

1. Benanna

Benanna

Hi PE Reefers

Does anyone in PE know where I can get some Chaeto for my sump. I have never used it before and want to give it a try.

Has anyone had good succes with it for nutrient export etc?

Can I put it in my sump above my DSB or would it require its own compartment?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

you can keep it above the dsb.Would be better to use some egg crate to prevent from touching the dsb. It works; if it grows that means it is working :)

Boegie likes this.
  4. Dane

Dane

The best way to run cheato is for it to be a gently tumbling ball, floating above the DSB. I would certainly recommend trying it. It is a slightly slower growing macroalgae, compared to caulerpa etc - but if you have a nice large area it can reach considerable size - and the other faster growing macros have their own complications - which chaeto does not. I would certainly suggest you try it. It also provide an excellent home and breeding ground for pods.

Boegie likes this.
  5. Slagter

Slagter MASA Contributor

Just remember you need to use a light for it too... But it's a fantastic way to help your system with nutrient export.

Boegie likes this.
  6. Benanna

Benanna Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Will definately give it a go. Will first need to set up some better lighting.

Now, where can I get some? Can anyone help in PE?

7. Alias

Alias

im also looking for some in PE.

8. inflames

inflames

I have been growing cheato in my sump almost since I started! I have to harvest 2 or 3 large handfulls a week, so it MUST be taking allot of nutrience out of the system, also run the lights in reverse to DT, this also also helps keep PH swings to a minimum! I grow it on top of my Plenum with 2 15watt energy savers (with a DIY reflector)that I replace every 6 - 9 months. I hope you come right with some of the guys in PE!

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm been using Cheato in DSB area, for quite some time. As long as you got 150mm depth or more. If it touches or hooks unto the sand or other equipment while tumbling away, then small parts will break off and settle on the sand. Or in the inlet of your return pump.

It really do not need to tumble away, as it most likely will not in a shallow area. But then you need to manually flip it 2 times a week. No need, but you will get better results.

I got mine in a dedicated separate 90L Daro tank. With about 2 to 3cm shallow sand bed. So it got more depth available for the Cheato ball without scraping the sand. It does settle and stop, but it works a lot better.

But Cheato do grow slower than Caulerpa. But Cheato do not have that sexual crashes on you.

Boegie likes this.
  10. Tremayn

Tremayn

RiaanP, I have learnt something :) .. lol about flipping the cheato.. Mine just stays on top at the water surface like a mat. How do you get the cheato to tumble?

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

It depends on the depth of water above your DSB. The deeper the better. And then obviously on the size of your Cheato ball. Over time it will just grow too big to be able to stumble by itself in that rather shallow water. Then you anyway have to do it yourself.

That is partly why I now use another tank solely for the cheato ball. Mine is currently about the size of a soccer ball.

This is a week ago, after replacing the tank due to me cracking the base. Cheato ball was not in too happy at that time after spending 2 days in a plastic tub. Now its more rounded. Its a standard 90L Daro tank, so the ball is between 300 and 400mm in width and about 200mm high. More like a Rugby ball.
    [​IMG]

Plumbed into the main system. Water enters at an angle at the back right hand side, 500L/h. Small powerhead aimed to provide circular flow. Eggcrate piece in place to prevent the ball being sucked into the powerhead inlet. 2 to 3cm layer at the bottom to be a shallow sand bed.

Boegie likes this.
  12. Tremayn

Tremayn

I need to get some egg crate! My refuge is more deep than wide, its just part of the sump. I have a separate water inlet and then I have a small powerhead in the return plumbed into the refuge to increase the water flow. I it turns for a little while then it gets stuck in a corner. I was thinking of adding a sun sun 3000L pump but I think that would be too much for such a small refuge. Its like 35cm L x 45W x 40H

13. Sentari

Sentari

Another thing i've always wondered and battle to pin point it what lighting to use.

I had alot of success with high wattage (above 20w) bulbs and 6400K range.

What's everyone's view on this?

Last edited: 9 May 2011
  14. Tremayn

Tremayn

At the moment I have a 18w 6500k energy saver. Seems to be working but I want to get another

15. Steve Warren

Steve Warren

I have some, not much, it used to float but not anymore. I also have Caulerpa settularoides.
    I run them 24/7.
    To be honest I prefer the caulerpa and think it outcompetes the chaeto, which is why I only have small amounts of chaeto. I can give you a bit of both.

Last edited: 9 May 2011
  16. zak

zak

Is there a reefer in Jhb/Sandton that can spare some Chaeto? My dsb is in need of some life, please pm me if you can help..

And oh, thanks Benanna for the thread..

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is too much.
    I got a cheap Chinese powerhead, those with pickup at the bottom. 1500L/h. You get smaller 1200L/h and I think that will be better on your tank. Just do not aim it directly at the ball, but past it to create a circular flow. In your tank that would be easier than in mine.

I used to run 45W CFL. and was setup to work on Cheato and scrubber together. Since the smaller tank, I do not run a scrubber anymore. And been using 2*39W T5 10000K. And it seems fine.

18. Sentari

Sentari

i cant seem to source high wattage bulbs. any idea where one would get them?

I haven't tried lighting warehouse yet. Heard they usually stock.

19. inflames

inflames

I use 2 x 15 watt energy savers that are 6500k. So yes the wattage does make a difference! Only had one and did not work great. I also built a DIY reflector out of alanoid that reflects a huge amount of light down back into the sump, which I think also helps allot! Energy savers give light off 360 degrees so the reflector works great!

@zak, I harvest weekly and can bring some to Randburg if you want! I stay in Ruimsig, but work in Randburg. Let me know!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

45W CFL is a bit of overkill. Used it primary for the scrubber. Got them from Builders warehouse.

35W is still a bit overkill, lower down to 20W or even 15W as inflames got them is OK.

21. Tremayn

Tremayn

Will try that with the small powerhead :) ... thanks

Recent Posts