Chaeto/caulerpa

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Helga, 9 Jan 2012.

1. Helga

Helga

Now you guys have me worried. I have a refugium with a DSB and an abundance of mainly Caulerpa and also a healthy ball of Chaeto growing in it that is attached to my DT. I started this refugium 15 months ago when I had a 300liter tank mainly because I battled high phosphates in the tank and also as a display tank with maybe one day seahorses. That was the plan!.

Have now upgraded to a bigger tank. Had the refugium linked to the new tank as well. It really works perfectly, feeding my DT with lots of little critters. The caulerpa is growing at a phenominal rate so I prune it back vigorously every week. I dont want the refugium to become to overgrown and scraggly looking as it doubles as a nursery for any small or new fish that needs more attention. (still dont have the seahorses, and dont think I'm going that way.... theyre just to fragile). The refugium is teeming with small copepods and other little critters.

What worries me now is this "going sexual thing" of Caulerpa! Any telltale signs that I can watch out for before this happens. I found the caulerpa growing at such a pace in comparison to the chaeto. Will cut them back even more to give the chaeto a better chance. And then for peace of mind go over to only chaeto.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

@Helga - moved post so more people can give their opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    Helga likes this.
  4. rakabos

rakabos

I find cheato clogs up with detritus where caulerpa doesnt. I have had Caulerpa for over a year now, the grape and feather types and no problems with it at all

5. SteveZi

SteveZi

What type of Caulerpa do you have Helga?

6. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

I have the common Blade Caulerpa (Caulerpa prolifera).

7. 459b

Ive had that one go sexual in my tank three times! Ive since removed it and replaced it with feather caulerpa (not sure which species) and havent had any problems. The caulerpa grows alot faster than cheato and tend to outcompete it.

8. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

So do you think the blade species is more prone to going sexual. And what is the symptom when it goes sexual. What should I look out for?

What worries me now is that because I litterally throw away a huge ball of caulerpa on a weekly basis to stop it from overgrowing my refugium I made a little cylindrical cage with the plastic mesch you buy from the hardware shop and put a ball of it in my sump. It keeps it from floating around in the sump. Do you think I should then rather not put it into my sump as well. What is excellent is that within an hour of adding this cage with the caulerpa to the sump hundreds of little critters are swimming in and out of the ball.

9. 459b

I never saw any symptoms prior to spawning - but then i dont spend much time looking at my caulerpa. After it spawned the water went a bit murky, i did a small water change and never experienced any ill effects.
    From my own experience i wouldnt use balde caulerpa again. At the moment i have feather and grape cauperpa and they are behaving themselves (for now at least). All macro algaes are going t obe a good home for little critters.

10. SteveZi

SteveZi

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I had grape variety. And it went sexual twice in 2 months. Luckily in my then shrimp tank. Morning still fine, that afternoon looked like half cooked spinach. And yes, it grows extremely fast. Second event was on Wednesday, after I pruned back on the Sunday. No indicator signs at all.

Now I do have a bigger remote DSB / refugium and would like to try them again.

12. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

Riaan, I can let you know when I prune a big bunch off again, youre welcome to come fetch!

13. Helga

Helga Thread Starter

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

15. 2balive

2balive

I use cheato and getting very good growth with side lighting (LED) and slow flow trough it.

I rince it once or twice a month when I prune it so the detritus has never really bothered me.

Also got a number of micro brittle stars in mine that keeps it relatively clean.

Find it amazing that grape Caulerpa still out compete it when it gets a foot hold in the DT with virtually no other algae growing.

16. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

Hi Helga

How is the caulerpa doing? I have your offcuts in mt refuge/dsb at the moment. Seems to have released many small bits into the DT...ever had this happen?

17. frankie fish

frankie fish

This may help a bit,as i never had problems like that,and now i kinda understand why,because i leave my sump light on 24/7,stunting the chemical growth . Prevent macro algae from going sexual

18. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

thanks Frankie Fish

I have read that link. I have started with micro algae only since this week. I have put a light on in the refuge since day before yesterday. I have chaeto and caulerpa (both the leaf and globe variety).

Am not sure if it is purely diatoms cos its all brown...

Recent Posts