Chaeto / Caulerpa

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Rossreefer, 18 Oct 2011.

1. Rossreefer

Rossreefer

Can anyone help me get some Macro?

Im in Cape Town Northern suburbs

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I have some feather caulerpa if you keen.
    I also stay in the northern suburbs.

4. Rossreefer

Rossreefer Thread Starter

Thanks thats great, can you Pm me your details.

5. Sammy

Sammy

Last edited: 18 Oct 2011
  6. Rossreefer

Rossreefer Thread Starter

Thanks Sammy, but David has some Claulerpa for me in the North

7. Sammy

Sammy

cool, glad you got sorted !

8. Xereo

Xereo

SAmmy u can sponsor me some :p or Perky some, so i can get :)

9. 2balive

2balive

10. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Is there anyone in Johannesburg who has any and is wanting to "sell" some to me please :)

11. pXius

pXius

LFS at lifestyle garden center sells caulerpa

12. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Sweet brother :thumbup:

Is that the lifestyle centre there on Beyers Naude Drive sir?

13. pXius

pXius

Yep, the pet shop is in the Garden center itself :D

14. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Awesome thanks for the heads up :)

15. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Another heads up: What would you want to do with the caulerpa? Please keep it out your tanks if you intend keeping corals, especially sps.
    Caulerpa has been toted as a wonderul exporter of nutrients for quite some time in the hobby. Although this is true, it also has some unfortunate habits: when used for nutrient export, the removed caulerpa could end up in our ocean as an invasive species. Unlikely if disposed of properly, but worth a mention.
    It also has the very unfortunate habit of going sexual, I.e. Turning seethrough and disintegrating. What do you think happens to all the nutrients assimilated into its tissue? There are some practises that you can employ to circumvent this, something about photoperiod, but imho why risk it....

But wait, there's more: A study published a few days ago, trying to ascertain why damaged reefs often don't recover, but rather become algal gardens, find that macroalgae use terpenes as an allelopathic agent, and to prevent being eaten by algal grazers. The study shows that terpenes kill corals when they come into contact with it.
    I have not studied the paper, and I am not aware whether caulerpa was used in their trials, but what I am aware of is that caulerpa do release terpenes, especially the ecotoxicological ones which prohibit the growth of marine bacteria......
    Bear in mind that the cornerstone in any sucessful marine captive ecosystem is not the bubbleking skimmer, plasma / LED light or the aquatronica conputer, but rather our good old friends bacteria, doing their thing in every nook and cranny.....

So when the caulerpa goes sxual on us, you have an idea of what is being released into your tank........

So let us opt for chaeto then, as it don't go sexual..... Fact or theory :invitro antibacterial terpenes are present in chaetomorpha??? I'll get back to you on this one, or go research it in the meantime and get back to me.....

16. pXius

pXius

I've heardbof the whole going sexual thing and I was a bit afraid of using it at first but so far so good. I would have opted fot chaeto but its almost impossible to come by. If it was just more commonly available problem would be solved.

As for the bacteria part. As scary as it sounds, I've never encountered any visible signs of a dying bacterial population in my or fellow reefer systems. Hopefully doesn't happen. So again LFS please stock cheato!!!

17. irie ivan

For visible signs of bacterial die off, you will have to see the bacteria, which is highly unlikely. I doubt whether caulerpa will cause mass die off of bac, but the fact that it contains inhibitors to bacterial growth is what needs to be considered. Consider that baacteria will get skimmed out, so even less chance of you noticing where you should look is in parameters shifting, our good old friend po4 rising to measureable levels, O2 temporarily being depleted, pH instability, etc. All these will have a detrimental effect on coral health.
    .Also bear in mind that skimmate only consists of 30 percent dissolved organics. Not sure if terpenes are considered as doc, not sure if they are broken down or build up....
    Understand that caulerpa will scavange nutrients, and that "the going sexual thing" is not a predictable occurrence. So far so good, sure, almost fits into the my tank has never looked better statement.
    It is working, add more corals add more fish, and still the caulerpa keeps up.... Until one day!

Chaeto should be freely available, search and you shall find.... I had loads once... Better still, look ater the cornerstone bacteria and you won't need macro algae to control nutrients. I guess that's what I was getting at, the old syndrome treatment methology. My nutrients are higher, I buy some caulerpa to get it down, instead of realising I should take a closer look at my husbandry techniques, understanding the ecosystem I am setting up, etc.

18. pXius

pXius

Nutrient instability are the signs I was refdering to. I'm also dosing prodibio bi-monthly so its really a last precaution. I'm waiting on a sponsor whom can source some every now and than but has not proven resourceful so far.

As for freely available... not so much. Not in jhb anyway. The only way to get some here is from another reefer and from personal experiance not anyone in my area so its quite the drive for a small piece. I'm not making excuses just stating that its hard to find on the west rand.

Also keep in mind that but a portion of reefers in SA are actually on MASA. So in a more general perspective it once again becomea hard to obtain when not sourced by a lfs.

Dont get me wrong, I agree with you fully and would prefer chaeto as a macro algae.

19. 2balive

2balive

hi @pXius

I can seal some on a plastic bag and mail it to you, should survive.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. irie ivan

Interesting thought: the effeciency of dosing bac solutions when they have to compete with macroalgae for nutrients....
    I need a lab, with lots of toys!

Personally I would not choose any macroalgae....

21. clonetrooper

clonetrooper

Algae for sump

hey guys

Im starting a marine tank and wanted to know if anyone can help me with some Algae for my sump tank in Cape Town. @Sammy please let me know if you still have.

Thanx guys help would be awesome:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts