Cerianthus in trouble

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by RiaanP, 28 Dec 2011.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got 3 Cerianthus - Tube anemones - in my DSB. The oldest one is really struggling the last 2 weeks. The other 2 are fully expanded and happy. Actually the white and purple is growing like mad.

Anyway, the yellow one used to extend to about 320mm across. Now it just sits almost retracted, at max 100mm across. And does not matter what i feed it, it just does not take the food. Be it hake, mussel or flakes. He used to eat like a pig. Grabbing pieces of flake or whatever.

They do not touch each other, but are in close vicinity.

any suggestions please.

This is what is should look like. In the foreground on the left is the orange one, they do not touch.

[​IMG]

Earlier pic of the white and purple banded
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Dec 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

any ideas on a age and life span for tube nennies? as you know they arent 'true anenomies' so it might be an age issue.

Else i would check NO3 levels, mine has battled in the past with raised NO3 levels. There is also the possibility og chemical warefare between them, although ive heard the looser would dislodge itself and move before dying. Try running new carbon and perhaps placing it further from the others and upstream from them. see if any of the above help

RiaanP likes this.
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks Crispin, somebody else also mentioned age andd livespan. In nature they are opportunistic feeders, depending on something coming their way. Should have slow metabolism rate, and from that I gather that they have a long livespan. I have this one a year.

And yes, currently sitting with NO3 levels higher than it should be. also the reason for my nice cayno outbreak.

The other 2 are 100%. And growing.

Might be chemical. I got another remote DSB, I can move it. But let me first try carbon.

5. crispin

crispin

thanks button is just bellow the stars:) lol

i would move it AND run carbon. if there is a death of a large organism like a tube nennie then you'll need a carbon reactor if you can have it.

6. Annoying

Annoying

@crispin don't you think moving the nennie might cause too much stress in this state, because the depth that they bury themselves in and also the length that the nennie is in the same place means that it will be very well attached to the substrate. @RiaanP maybe try changing the carbon like Crispin said and then place a somewhat devider between the nennie and it's neighbours, maybe a little live rock barrier just to prevent any sweepers touching it and causing injury. If this still doesn't help then maybe moving it would be the best option.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    Tony likes this.
  7. RiaanP

TubeAnemones
    8 inch is 20cm. Mine is closer to each other.

.Tube Anemone, Tube Dwelling Anemone Cerianthus membranaceus, Sea Anemone Facts and Sea Anemone Pictures

Interesting article - Are they fish killers
    Aquarium Invertebrates: Tube Anemones — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

8. crispin

crispin

ive moved tube nennies in the past relativlet easily, so long as one is gentle with the tube as you dig it up, and repositioning it is also fairly easy.

personally i feel with the organism doing so poorly where it currently is, i would try rule out environmental factors caused by micro climatic conditions (such as chem warefare) first, while also trying to get the macro parameters (no3 for example) under check.

I do agree that moving it will have a degree of risk to it, especially as its not in a healthy state, but i feel its worth the risk if the conditions improve for the animal.

9. RiaanP

I got the latest Cerianthus, the white and purple just before 24 September. Going back, that is the first date i got a picture of is. Up to then I cannot remember that the Yellow one ever struggled. The new white one was having trouble to adapt. And first couple of weeks also struggled and did not take food easily. It is now 3 months later.

I did go to Cape Town for first 2 weeks of December. Coming back the white cerianthus did grow a lot, and the yellow never fully expanded any more.

So I think Crispin is right on the chemical warfare. I cannot find a lot of info on the web. Especially around placement and chemical warfare amongst cerianthus. What I did find is that they have the weakest sting of all nemocyst carrying corals.

Will connect up Carbon tonight and move him during the weekend.

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Looks like its chem warefare! I had 2 and had too move them far apart then they were fine.

With regards to age, as far as i know nemmies dont age, they can live forevermin a matter of speaking, thats what i read

11. RiaanP

I'm feeding it Deltec DD Reefpaste. Put a bit against the divider close to him. The yellow cerainthus do show a positive feeding response as it dissolves. At least eating something.

I learned at least something from the limited information available on Cerianthus. They need smaller pieces multiple times a week. Does them more harm than good feeding them big chunks of hake or whatever. Frozen food like mysis is also a preferred food.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2011
  12. RiaanP

Here they are all together
    Excuse the dirty front pane, it is after all my sump and if I clean it, the front red Cerianthus would pull back.

[​IMG]

running Carbon now for 4 days.
    At least I can now see the yellow one mouth.
    But still only about 100mm across instead of the almost 320mm it used to.

13. RiaanP

OK, the yellow Cerianthus decided it had enough.

Found it popped out of the sand last week Thursday morning. Laying on the sand in the other side of the DSB. The other 2 both retracted. Moved the Yellow to the remote DSB, with just the tip of the "foot" buried. Its sorted itself out, and "planted" himself. OK, not all the way yet. I did remove the old lining or skin or whatever you call that slimy tube like thing left over in old spot. It will create a new lining to protect itself.

So far it does look a lot better. Open up bigger. But still not taking food as it used to be. But it seems a lot happier.

There is not a lot of information out on the web on Cerianthus, but I can confirm, there is definitely chemical warfare between them. They were 25cm apart, and that is not far enough. Especially if they are in the same flow of the water.

Last edited: 9 Jan 2012
Recent Posts