ceramic rings help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by roderigo, 9 Sep 2011.

1. roderigo

roderigo

Hi guys iv got LR in my tank DSB and cheato but I was wondering if I could put some ceramic rings in my sump coz I've got them laying around I know they are not good as filtration on there own but maybe combined with the others it could work .What do the pros have to say good or bad idea ???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ADVdiver

ADVdiver

Hi roderigo,

Well IMO i believe they are great and my reasoning for this is that they have a rather large surface area for aerobic filtration this allows for a quick transfer of waste to ammonia, nitrite and finally nitrate. As Ammonia in low or high levels is toxic same for nitrite. Nitrate in low levels is less harmful. Nuisance algae feed off of the waste,ammonia and nitrite where as nitrate is source of food for plants.

As long as you export the nitrate in a suitable manner all will be well and your tank will survive a (biological) disaster better.

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Put them in as long as you have some form of denitrification there shouldn't be any problem.

Mauritius-aquarist likes this.
Recent Posts