Ceramic beads question

Discussion in 'RSM Red Sea Max tanks' started by ricky, 18 Mar 2014.

1. ricky

ricky

Hi guys

I'd just like to get some clarity on cleaning ceramic beads.
    I notice that my ceramic beads bag in my rsm 130d gets a lot of What I think is detritus.

I keep getting mixed answers.

I should leave it as my tank is only 3 months old, or I should rinse it in the old water when I do a water change.

what do I do?

I'm starting to suspect the beads are the cause of frequent diatom blooms i'm getting.

Tx

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zandy

Zandy

The ceramics is the base for the bacteria to grow on, but perhaps rinse it off with every water change to keep the bacteria. You will get diatoms from time to time and i dont see it being because of the ceramics. This instead would point to me too little flow. A photo says a thousand words.

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

you can safely rinse the ceramic rings with tank water at least once a month or as often as needed as long as the beads spend as little time as possible out of the water .. basically just pull the bag out of the sump and put it straight onto a bucket with old tank water and shake till all dirt comes off then put the bag back in the sump.. done

5. ricky

ricky Thread Starter

Thanks, will Def rinse them.
    I do have an extra 2000lph power head in my rsm 130d tank, hopefully that's fine.

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@ricky You need to ascertain where the "detritus" or "diatoms" or "algae" is coming from. The beads need to be processing clean water that has a good amount of mechanical filtration prior. Good skimming and filter sock or mats are a big key here. By reducing the amount of waist partials that passes through the beads, the less maintenance required in disturbing the aerobic filtration (your beads).

In the case of Diatoms, this is a new tank syndrome and will pass. I would not disturb the filter to wash off Diatoms. It will go away with time and good aquarium husbandry.

If it is algae, which in most cases I find the case, you need to cut back on the amount of light the filter receives. Not sure if the Red Sea tank you have has a under cabinet light, I suspect it does. Make sure that you keep it switched off wherever possible. This of course is not always possible if you are running a refuge on reverse cycle. But try and keep the beads in the dark where possible.

I have not rinsed the bio balls or ceramic rings in my softy tank since I set up the tank some 3-4 years ago. I just apply the said principles.

Last edited: 18 Mar 2014
  7. ricky

ricky Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Keith. The reason for the beads being covered , is I often blow off my live rock coz it's covered in brown algae(diatoms). I do catch most of it with filter wool but somehow bypasses it and finds it's way to the beads. I have corrected this, thus my question about the beads.

There unfortunately isn't any lighting under the cabinet. The so called sump is behind the tank.

Recent Posts