Centropyge multifasciatus

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Anyone had any experience with these little guys? I am in the position where I can get one in the week ahead, not being very common and actually quite a cool looking little dwarf angel I am keen to buy it. Guaranteed eating when they ship. I have read they are notoriously hard to get to eat so thats great, I am just wondering about compatibility with other fish...I have a Flame Angel already and how reef safe they are? I am not worried about a nip here or there, its ripping corals appart that scares me :p

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

I`ll start by saying that guaranteed eating is nonsense.
    These fish have to be one of the all time worst when it comes to surviving any longer than a month or two.
    I had two, one lasted a month the other two, but it was painful to watch. They would eat although just a little and frozen mysid seemed the favourite but even still they wasted away to skin and bones.
    They were also isolated in a separate tank plumbed into my display so it wasn`t aggresion, in fact they stuck pretty close to oneanother most of the time.
    I read they are deeper water angels, and whether its aclimitizing them to less pressures or the lack of a necessary item only found deeper or what, i dont know but only 1 guy actually here on one of our forums had one for over a year.
    Google these gorgeous (and therefore obviously tempting ) fish on Reefcentral as the stories there are much the same.
    Pity as they appeared fairly passive and i did try a few different coral frags in case they ate them , but no , so probably reef safe.

4. mnd123

mnd123

Read that they CAN be kept but very challenging, they eat algae and sponges?

5. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Tried algaes and sponges, no luck, ohers may differ of course.
    Maybe they are caught as stragglers coming to unusually shallow water, i dont know.

6. Yuri

Yuri

it is never good to put two angels of the same tipe in one tank that are not eating
    it is only good when you have a mated pair

if you are going to take one remember to quarantine the angel until it is eating aggressively
    if i where you i will give it a go thy are not expensive

7. Yuri

Yuri

forgot
    remember that vitamin B are a good way to boost a fishes appetite
    and after you get this fish to eat then you got to give the fish meds for internal parasites
    usually these tipe of deep water fish get needled to decompress from that thy get internal parasites

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I read they can take to different prepared foods as well as sponges and algeas/nori yes, but its to actually get them onto those foods and I guess sustain them that seems to be the problem.

Thats sad news, because the guaratee in eating is infact Mysis so far, so that doesnt full me with much faith that it will infact survive in the long run. I will check out ReefCentral, must admit its not somewhere I have looked for info on them. I agree that they seem to be quite passive and generally reef safe from what I have read.

I have heard about giving fish Vitimin B injections, how safe is this though? Is there any other means of giving them such vitimins?

I am definately tempted, but I wouldnt say they are all that cheap, this particular one is going for R695, not an amount I really want to spend on something if I am only going to see suffer and waste away after a month or two :(
    Although to succeed where others have failed to successfully keep this little guy would be something.

9. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Who was the person who kept one successfully btw? Aer they still on the forums? Maybe they will be able to impart some knowledge as how they managed to keep it alive.

10. Yuri

Yuri

how big is he

11. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

6-8cm so medium size, although I believe these particular dwarf angels dont get all that big.

12. Yuri

Yuri

if i were you i will give it a go R700 is not that much for a nice angel

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mark your losses have been virtually nil to date and i attribute this to your attention to detail.. if anyone gets one of these boytjies in and can keep it going it would be you, but i got a fish from the same supplier that was in imaculate health and it dident make it.. i was very surprised at its death/dissapearance.. so you can never quite tell.. i know you are up for a challenge... this will be one..

14. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

I paid R220 each from Pet Stop, if you are really keen Moolis would bring them in for you.

15. Slummies

Slummies

agree mate, you a psycho to detail, go for it:)

16. Boegie

Boegie

Why is the prettiest fish always the hardest to keep, damn, that a great fish. Give it a go Mark.

17. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

A challenge is one thing, wasting a lot of money is another. I have managed to keep my mandarin and CBB for a good long period of time now 10 and 4 months repsectively so maybe I will have the same luck with the angel.

Hmmm....will have to see :p

Wow thats a big difference in price! But maybe the fact that this one is MAC and more pricey will mean this one may do better? :whistling:

18. SIMS

SIMS

Sorry to hear that Les. Do you have any idea what happened to it? Did you not have 2 other gobys that went a week or so before. Could you possibly have something in the tank taking the fish out...pistol shrimp or the like?

19. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Gents keep this thread on topic please.

If you want to discuss the merits of MAC, please start a new thread and debate the topic cordially.

If you want to complain about someone, do it via PM and not on the open forum.

20. SIMS

SIMS

I was on topic by answering Yuris comments.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2010
Recent Posts