centralized filtration system

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by aquamann, 16 Mar 2009.

1. aquamann

aquamann

Hi Guys,

I'm building a 200 gallon display tank, i need help on how to plumb the central filtration system consisting of a sump, protein skimmer and Uv sterilizer.

Photos will be of great help.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi, when at my pc I will send some ideas, give us an idea of thank dimensions etc, space available?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. aquamann

aquamann Thread Starter

Hi dallasg,
    My propose tank size is 96"x25"x36" i will be having two of thsi tanks as a display tank.
    I have very large.
    I need some ideas or possible guidelines on how to go about the plumbing of the sump and my display tank and more importantly the arrangement of protein skimmer, my uv and the return pump in the sump not leaving out the biological filtration unit - live rock and live sand in the sump.

Your ideas will be highly appreciated.

5. dallasg

cool, are u going to place the sump under the tanks?
    will the tanks be next to each other? so can have a nice big sump under both?

i have just done the same thing, plumbed my 6ft and 5ft into one system

6. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hi. I can finally give my 2cents:) What i would do, if you had two display tanks, is have the sump under one of the display tanks, so that the return chamber rests inbetween the two displays. So this way your return pumps would relatively pump the same head. Your Overflows would be on the extremes of the tanks, on the left side of the left display and the right side of the right display.
    Hope this helps
    [​IMG]

7. dallasg

i would use 1 return pump like in my setup and get one tank to over flow into another, or split the return to both, this way will always make sure the water levels balance

8. scubaninja

scubaninja

Sorry dallas but that is not a good idea. that means everythin that was bad go one system will flow into the next causing problems. so its best they each have their own return
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. dallasg

own return or not, they are sharing a sump, so water will mix anyways

2 pumps wont provide the same flow, even same make, my big setup i tried this and not even close.

10. scubaninja

scubaninja

it doesnt matter about providing the same flow. If you have one tank your aim is to get the bad stuff out of the display by making it go over the overflow. SO the bad stuff that you have managed to move over the overflow now gets deposited in the second tank which has its own bioload and its own problems and now it has to deal with two sets of junk. Have you seen the skimmer chamber in a sump that has been running for months? there is a layer of crap at the bottom. that will happen to your second display tank to a lesser degree. so the idea is not to put crap into a DT rather take it out. so yes they are using the same sump, but the crap that comes out of the DT stays in the sump(to the best of our ability) if you do it properly. So yes they will have the same water quality, but one tank will always be worse than the other. this way each tank has its own nutrient removal to deal with and not anyone elses

11. crispin

crispin

nice posting and explanation scuba:)

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

shot buddy:thumbup:

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

good work there scuba

14. dallasg

well i have one 4ft flowing into 2 tanks, those 2 drain into the sump and the return feeds the 4ft, 2 pumps just adds another point of failure, and in the event of power failure one backup dc pump can still run both tanks.

both ways work, i have tried both and prefered using gravity and laws of fluid mechanics to distribute the water between multiple tanks and sumps.

15. aquamann

aquamann Thread Starter

centralized filtration

scubaninja, thanks alot for the sketch i'm studying it. one quick question is it possible to have one large sump with one protein skimmer and return pump suppling individual smaller tanks plumbed together like in a holding facility?
    I'm actually looking at something like that rather than having two large DT tanks to hold everything.

What is your take on that? i'm looking at having small tanks of 2ft totalling 15 tanks plumbed together with one sump underneath.?

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

its possible, you just need to make your skimmer big enough for the whole water volume. but remember if multiple tanks are joined together if something happens in one tank(a fish dies or poisons are leaked) it will affect every tank to lesser degree. And if you are setting up as many as 15 tanks it may be better to have one large return pump that feeds them all via separate valves along the line, so there would basically be lots of T pieces if you understand what i mean? what is this for may i ask? what will you be holding?

17. aquamann

aquamann Thread Starter

Thanks Scubaninja, You've been of great help. I intend keeping fishes only in the tanks in quantities, for example have about 15 -20 butterflies in one of the tanks and so on.
    I thought of that idea like having small tanks all connected to one sump with one return pump, like you said if anything happens it will affect the other tanks but yet still i think is better than having one large tanks to keep about say 100 fishes of different species. If this idea works out i will have two sets of 15 tanks each with two saperate sumps. my worry is whether i can get all 15 tanks supplied once with the return pumps.
    I will drill the bottom of all the tanks and plumb them in T pieces to the sump and have the return pump supply the overflow to all using the same connection.
    what is your take on this?

Thanks

18. scubaninja

scubaninja

WHAT???? :shocked: sorry aquamann, 15-20 butterflys in a 2ft tank? sorry man is it a typo?
    going to the tanks, dont drill the bottoms, the sides would be better IMO. A level or so of tanks could have each of their overflows(or holes in the sides) flowing into a bigger pipe and then down to the sump to save millions of pipes flowing everywhere. And one return pump can be used, granted it may need to be a large one or you could have smaller ones each pumping up to a level of tanks. Which ever is easiest

19. aquamann

aquamann Thread Starter

Scuba,

I don't get this point much return pump that feeds them all via separate valves along the line
    Can you please make a sketch of how the valves should be for me to have clue on how to go about it.

20. scubaninja

scubaninja

[​IMG]
    This help?

21. aquamann

aquamann Thread Starter

Thanks man you've been of immense help.
    About the butterflies they are not meant to stay in the tank for life just temporary within a month or so. but i think with good filtration system having 10 butterflies in a 2ft tank for a short time would not be a bad idea, i suppose.
    can you please explain this term IMO.
    If the drilling should by the side then it must be at the down level, i guess.
    Do you also think that having it by the side would allow gravity push the water to the sump?

Recent Posts