Cell phone users

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Hi all

I have just installed a new modification (yes it's 1am and I'm bored again :p) that automatically detects if you are connecting via a mobile device, such as a cell phone, WAP device or iPod. When the system detects this it will automatically set a very bare bones, stripped down style for you to browse the forum on, it is designed to hugely minimise bandwidth usage on your mobile device and thus make browsing a lot easier and faster.

I have successfully tried it on my Nokia and Samsung phones on the default browser software and also using Opera Mini. It seems to be working 100%.

Any comments or feedback, please let me know, thanks.

Will it work on the cell modems as well? Any thing to look for that will indicate the lower bandwidth?

Will it work on the cell modems as well? Any thing to look for that will indicate the lower bandwidth?

Hill, no it won't. If you what you mean is to browse using your PC, but connect using your phone as a modem. The software basically detects what browser you are using. If it is a browser that comes with phones etc it will serve the barebones.

But if still use IE or firefox for Windows, the software will detect those browsers and serve normal.

Thanks Galibore, spot on.

Hill, if you are connecting that way and want to use the barebones style, you can still select it in the drop down menu on the bottom left of the screen, but it's not pretty :lol: There are no images, backgrounds etc. unless you click on them to show them, it's purely a text based style.

If you want we can install a lite version of MASA which will still look pretty but load a lot faster.

cool Dean,now my Cell phone surfing will be cheaper

Great news. Two questions.
1) Is there a simple way of allowing or disallowing photos.
2) If the connection is made through WLAN IE Airport, Coffee shop.... will the same download protocols be used. The reason i ask is because with wifi, bandwidth and expense would not be as big an issue.

No it is cool I am sure I will get by with my 1 Gig connection per month. I only use it for the forums.

Great news. Two questions.
1) Is there a simple way of allowing or disallowing photos.
2) If the connection is made through WLAN IE Airport, Coffee shop.... will the same download protocols be used. The reason i ask is because with wifi, bandwidth and expense would not be as big an issue.

1: No, besides disabling them in your phone browser (which every phone browser I've used can do). Another thing you can do is turn off avatars and signatures in your User CP.

2: The site would use the mobile theme by default if it detects a phone browser. It has no way of detecting if you're using wifi etc. I would suggest you add the link to the mobile theme and the link to the default theme as bookmarks and then start your browsing with either of those.

The lite version is still around, it just looks awful :p Will see what I can do in terms of editing etc. It's not just a theme change, it actually disables/hides a lot of the features etc.

How do I get to the lite version for when I am in an area with only GPRS?

Thanks mekaeel.

Kanga, we'll release the lite version when Rory is finished working on it :)

Oh stop whining.

What do you mean it's hard to navigate, you go up....you go down, can't make it simpler than that.

Back
Top Bottom