Cell C "speedstick" not so speedy

Discussion in 'Internet' started by Reef Maniac, 31 Jul 2011.

1. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi everyone,

Up till Saturday, I used a rather old Vodacom 3G modem, which performed so-so, and cost me a fortune on a pay-as-you-go setup. On paper, the new Cell C 60GB "speedstick" modem for R3000.00 (giving 5GB per month at an advertised speed of "up to 21.6Mbps HSUPA) sounded quite good, so I bought one.

Problem is, on first connecting, it only connected at "Edge" speed, giving on about 0.2 Mbps... After doing some research with my friend Google, it became apparent that many people were experiencing this problem. One "work around" found on the 'net is to manually select another service provider (e.g. Vodacom), then, once that connection fails, to re-select the Cell C connection. I did this, and eureka - I'm running at "WCDMA" (whatever that means...). Problem is, this worked quite well last night, but somehow it reset itself to Edge during the day... so I had to do everything all over again.

This is really going to p*ss me off. Does anyone know of a better solution to this problem? Perhaps a software upgrade?? (nothing that I could find on the Cell C website...)

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any feedback...

Hennie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reefhead

Reefhead

Mine I installed from day one has been running at lightning speed compared to my other internet services
    Been using it since Jan

4. pXius

pXius

Give me the modem mode, brand and code.

I'll see if I can find you some new firmware.

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Is the super speed not dependent on signal availability? For instance HSDPA is not available when edge is the best you can get. If you dont have 3G signal quality then I dont see you getting the speeds they advertise.

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac Thread Starter MASA Contributor

It's one of the Huawei "black sticks", model E1820. All software is said to be "Version 1.01"

I understand this - but their website shows HSDPA coverage in the area where I live.

Agreed :lol:

Pretty false advertising if they show high-speed availability and quote impressive performance, but then don't deliver :(

I will try to get hold of their technical department (if they have one...) and see if they have answers, but I'm not holding my breath...

Hennie

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Remember, you share a tower.
    Mine is now on HSPA. Sitting in Sandton, at 7:30. Wait till 10:00 and I will drop to EDGE. The tower needs to split itself for everybody using it. So when you are the only one browsing, you get lightning fast speed.

Same as having a Ferrari. Using the highway you can only go as fast as there are traffic. You will not arrive at your destination within 3 minutes, although its technically on paper capable of doing that speed. So is it false advertising from Ferrari?

9. pXius

pXius

Ok, so upon a bit of research their doesn't seem to be a alternative firmware for your modem. You see, Cell C has a custom firmware enabling their +900 network, all the alternative firmwares I could find do not include this.

However, you might want to try an alternative dail up manager.

here's a link

Huawei Mobile Partner software download

Last edited: 1 Aug 2011
  10. Jeann1

Jeann1

+1 "Availability of connections at each connection point is only an indication."
    You will se this is almost always written somewhere , either on the contract papers, or on the cell-c documents that come with the modem etc.

They might be able to provide you with this speed if... that is what it comes down to. Unless you have a dedicated piece of "pyp" for your connection, you get what the tower is providing.

It's like Telkoms ADSL lines. The one package is a 4 mbps but, the package states 1-4mbps. because you share a "pyp" with other people. you could get 4mbps but most likely you will get less

11. Reef Maniac

Then surely they should regularly update/upgrade their towers... I still believe it's false advertising stating one capability, knowing full well that one cannot reach what has been advertised because of their own equipment restrictions!

That's like having Ferrari advertise their car maximum speed, but putting cheap, 140km/h rated tyres on it...

Hennie

12. pXius

pXius

They actually got a case against them earlier this year in Potch for advertising/selling it with no HSDPA availble in the area (for cell c)

13. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a little secret.
    Vodacom got the same capability as Cell C
    But Cell-C got it on ALL their towers, not so for Vodacom. So Cell-C can use it on their adds.

But here comes the twist.

The number of Cell-C towers is less than the Vodacom towers with the same capability.

I'm on Cell-C, and where I sit now in Sandton, I got better coverage than the guy next to me on Vodacom. He is on EDGE while I'm on HSPA.

So, what can I say. Less towers, but faster. Yeah, I got the faster connection.

15. Reef Maniac

Thanks for the effort, and the link - I will have a look at it :thumbup:

Hennie

16. AndrévN

AndrévN

Been using it for i think 5months and no hassles, had little ups and downs but it aint even comparing to vodacom shit i had, so they are good. Worst ive had when was there towers was off and the signal was gone but that got sorted. I live 30km from the closest tower and im still covered so im happy you might just been unlucky for some reason but they swift to sort you out when you do phone youll see oom Hennie.

17. AndrévN

AndrévN

Im actually looking at getting the new 8TA too.. Its R199 for 10gig a month over 24months and the modem is R699 for 21Mbps speed and R349 for 7,2Mbps, just to back up my wifes usage LOL. She uses 12gig a month now and the cell C aint coping. Will let you know when im up and running with it.

18. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

cell c sucks, they gave my money back with no issues though.

19. zak

zak

Im using Cellc and I love it..

Like Riaanp said,very much signal dependant..

Recent Posts