caulepra dying

lindsay pollard

pipefish
Reaction score
hey guys im still batteling with green hair algae,ive started a algae scrubber which is working just fine,cleaning it off once a week but now im worried because my caulepra in my sump is dying over the the last 2 days ,is this a good or bad sign,but still no dye off of gha in my dt

Hi Lindsay - first of - BEEN A WHILE!?!?!? How are you doing!?!?!?

Secondly - when do we see updated pics of your tank again?

Thirdly - I think that the caulerpa WILL die off first, because the nitrates in your sump is far less than it would be in your tank.
Another thing - the locations where you are seeing GHA grow, is MOST likely due to detritus that's hidden inside your live rock, and possibly, sand bed....

Do yourself a favour - where the GHA is growing - take a loose power-head, and blow a strong stream of water on this location - if you see "dust" start going into the water colum - then you know - it is like it....

wow that was quick thanx guys,jacques not much has changed in my tank and im not adding anything to it untill i rid this damb gha other than that all is well

1.) The caulerpa is dying because the algae scrubber is doing its job...... Hair algae and friends are a bit more tenacious than caulerpa species, so they should follow suit....
2.) The caulerpa is dying because its going sexual......

A better discription of your perception of dying would help...

irie ivan from a healthy looking plant its now withering away should i take it out like ML has suggested,if its going sexual then it cant be a good thing right ?

Its going sexual as a last resort to save itself,it wil release gamets (spelling?) That could harm your system.get rid off it now.this happens because the scrubber is more effective(better growing enviro.)
at removing the 'fuel' that cualerpa needs to live and that is good.
Goodluck

I would also say take out the caulerpa as soon as possible and try not to break the strands - take them out with roots and all.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would remove all dead and dying pieces, but leave some on the rock as it will flourish again if ever the algal scrubber fails.

just removed the caulepra and it had a bad smell,where the roots came out the sand,the sand was a greyish colour,most probably from the roots dying,but its OUT

The bad smell is probably just hydrogen sulfide from disturbing the DSB
Could pose a potential problem but IMHO I would not be to worried
Because I get that every time I harvest my cualerpa.
I have just set up my scrubber and plan on going with just chaeto.scrubber,DSB and who knows maybe skimmerless

Back
Top Bottom