catching

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by tyronvs, 15 Oct 2013.

1. tyronvs

tyronvs

so guys i thought we should talk About methods on catching fish in the sea.
    Any one want to share any methods.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. erratiC

erratiC

I remember going to Margate and getting shown by @AfricaOffroad a couple years back.. wow. Still can't wrap my head around it though. One dodgy green net and a lot of patience.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. SteveZi

SteveZi

There are easy ways and difficult ways. I choose the difficult ways:)

5. pkc

pkc

I agree with that, I use to carry up to three fence nets let alone all the other gear with me and set up and work off them on hookah or take up to 5 tanks with me for the day if there was current to face up to.
    I gave up that way and started finding far more valuable life forms by moving around more and covering greater distances.
    It is the hard way, but very fruitful.
    Oh and sometimes I run out of air some distance away from the boat,lol.
    With any collecting it can take many years to get the hang of how varied species hide and allude you and to know where they are before you even get there.
    Certain structures attract certain life forms as do food sources that are abundant where you are at the time.
    My fav are conspics and personifers,well we have the Meredithi on this side of auz,any way they always have a back door that’s always lower then the original opening to the spot they went into and when they come out they swim top towards you to remain thinner to not be so easy to see.
    Cunning fish, but not that cunning once you know how they do it.

Most angel fish are easy to con, especially the pomacanthus variations, the centropyge are a bit smarter, though they always carry out the same evasive actions and in the net they go,lol.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2013
  6. SteveZi

SteveZi

What are your views on using chemicals to flush fish from their hiding spots?

7. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

A BIG no-no! You kill other critters living in the hiding spot too, and you pollute the water! Best way is the traditional way, with a net or 3 and using your brain cells.

8. SteveZi

SteveZi

I was surprised to learn that some aquarium collectors are allowed to use certain "doepas" to flush fish out. Very unsportly if you ask me.

9. pkc

pkc

Flushed? I have never used one like that, didn't know any one used any for that.
    I have used other types and one we would make up that is completely harmless and no I will not pass on the recipe, as I was told not to.
    I commercial guy from the states told me about it a long time ago, that concoction in a sauce squeeze bottle as we would use it, harms nothing and only knocks the fish out for a matter of seconds, so you have to be quick.
    There is no over exposure like cyanide and similar that will also set off a chain reaction with in organs and kill over time, if it doesn’t put them to sleep permanently when first exposed to them.
    That was some years back we played with that harmless one, but I don’t like it, it’s to easy!
    Just like two other methods that are invaluable for collecting certain species in ridiculously easy ways, that was when it was about numbers and not the hunt, for at least 5 years now, it is about the hunt with quality individual catches and not the numbers.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2013
  10. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Do you use clove oil? Personally I hate anyone using any chemicals on fish to catch, even if you think it is harmless. It is a cowardly way to catch fish IMO.

11. pkc

pkc

Clove oil, don't know of that one?

My impression of a bad way to catch fish are those dam large nets dragged through the sea catching everything and suffocating and spiking near all life in there and most goes back dead due to being the wrong species or to small.

Any way collectors use to collect is fine with me, as long as it is none invasive and they leave the habitat how they found it.

After many years of ocean activities you realise that absoluetly nothing does more damage then our massive numbers and subsequent requirements and out put, "absolutely nothing"!

Last edited: 17 Oct 2013
Recent Posts