Catching rogue Mantis shrimp

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by PeterL, 5 May 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I have a little brown mantis shrimp hiding out in one of my rocks, barely got a glimps of it the other day but by the time I got back with my camera he was gone. At first I had no clue what it was, until recently I put some muscles on top of the rock he is hiding in and all to find it has smashed them to pieces...

How do I catch this little guy?
    And once I got it, what do I do with it?

I thought about sumping it but what is it going to do to the small hermits I have in the sump or will they survive together??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

I would get the Mantis out there asap! They are nefariously difficult to catch tho. A baited trap might work. Put a piece of prawn or fish in a bottle with the neck cut and inverted so the cone faces inwards. You can tie a piece of thin cotton to the piece of fish and to a little bell or something so you know when you have a bite if the lights are out? ;-)

And yes, if you sump him he will OWN your hermits. Thats meals on wheels for them...

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

HAHAHA!!!
    Meals on wheels, I like te way you put that...
    I just bust one of the other muscles I have into a glass and this guy isn't wasting time - he is already showing face...but - can they "swim" like other shrimp?? If so, he will be out of the glass as soon as he has had his "meal"

5. Dane

Dane

6. Dane

Dane

Yes they are fairly adept swimmers, wouldnt bother with a glass.

7. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I guess my bait in an open glass isn't going to work as well as it does with teddy crabs huh??
    I like the idea - I am sure we have a spear bottle lying about I could use

8. Dane

Dane

Oh and please don't kill the mantis! Post it on the forum as a freebie if you don't want it! Mine was a pest and now its a pet! ;-) Despite its rather dark and murderous history in davids tank... hehehe :p

If he hasnt taken the bait out the glass yet then remove it quick! Otherwise he wont be hungry and hankering for the next proper trap! ;-)

9. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I will whip out the "bait" and setup a fun little bottle trick - my 5yrold is gonna be *issed when he finds out I cut up his Valpre bottle - it is for a good cause...will keep you posted.
    I got a brief glipse of him a moment ago and it is about as big as the last knuckle of your little finger, not so big but also not small either

10. Dane

Dane

Hehehe, operation mantisnab is in effect ;-) Let me know what happens.

The size of the a knuckle? Thats miniscule!! Mine is about 6/7cm long and thats not very big either. Peacock mantis' can get huge!

11. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

12. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Don't even joke!!!!
    I was sitting there staring at the hole in the top of the rock and it showed its face, then where the other muscles were - it had a quick look see what was left and it reeled, and reeled, and reeled out of the hole...What seems to be about 3/4 of it's body length showed off arond 6cm of crazy loking little critter which I am hoping to catch.

I have taken now two muscles and broken them open and put them into the bottle, then put the bottle on it's side right by the hole an it immidiately showed interest. Since then I have been staring at it make like a Pararie Dog (now you see me, now you don't - up down, up down by this hole), it just seems very scared to come out of it's comfort zone and go for the bait. I may have to wait until morning and hope it hasn't outsmarted me and found it's way out the neck of the bottle because to sit there all night watching for it to get furrther than it "shoulders" out the hole and into the bottle trap is putting me to sleep...

13. Dane

Dane

I wouldnt leave it all night, they're clever little buggers! Just turn the lights of for a few mins and check on it with a dim flashlight or if better - red LED. They are much bolder when its dark, especially if its close to his hole. He will prob grab it and then run back to munch in piece in his hole...

14. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

it doesn't look like I am going to get him today if that is the case, I have sat dead still with my head on my hands to prevent anymovement other than blinking...he just pokes his head out every now and then and rushes back into it's hole.

No real serious interest other than just nosing around the exit of it's hole and looking at this crazy new bottle resting right there - don't know if it can't "smell" the food/bait or what, either that or it just isn't hungry because all the copepods are out at night so it could be getting all the food it needs from those and the muscles I have set out for it is just too far from it's comfort zone so it won't bother.

I may have to just take the rock right out of the tank to accomplish this an hope it gets out of the rock at some point and nab it like that.

15. Dane

Dane

Patience patience patience ;-)
    I still think the trap is your best shot. Maybe leave near his hole but empty so he gets used to it? And I'm sure he can smell the muscle. Probably just very wary - or as you said not hungry. Give it another shot before tearing rockwork apart. He'll probably just dive into another chunk of rock anyway.

16. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

I have just left the "trap" there over night, wel'll see if anything gets distrubed by morning. If the bait is gone and the bottle is empty then I know he got in and out without getting stuck, first prize would be to have him in the bottle - will keep you posted...maybe not good enough but I have just used sticky tape to hold the top of the bottle on, considering his strenght on the previous muscles he desrtoyed, he could potentially break free.

Will see and report the results - if any.

17. Dane

Dane

Goodluck :) Will follow

18. Jacojs

Jacojs

Also following, this is so cool :yeahdude: This is why I want a tank, theres alway something going on in there, doesn't seem like it ever gets boring.

Please post a pic when you catch it.

Jaco.

19. magman

magman

if it's in the rock and not a burrow, it could be a pistol, can you hear it at night?

20. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

It has burrowed a tunnel system into one of my rocks. I used to hear it - frequently heard a clicking in my tank and I was concerned that it could be the glass of the tank cracking, haven't heard it for a few days now actually...But after it pigged out on the muscles which I had on my rock - it isn't so keen on taking the bait, probably still stuffed from that meal.

It didn't show enough interest in the muscles in a bottle story, I left that over night with my video camera on night mode watching it - 6hrs of recording which I am not going to go through considering he didn't go for the bait...I will have to try again tonight. I have to do this at night when it is lights out otherwise the fish disturb it and it won't show face - maybe it is because it is too k@k scared that the wrasse will give it a go if he comes out of his burrow in the rock.

Would he eat copepods? I noticed after lights out that my tank comes alive with little creatures which may be his main scource of food - an endless breeding supply of food...

21. Dane

Dane

Hey zombie, cool to hear about the night vid! They do eat copepods, but only if they're the really big ones. Like 70mm, mine doesnt bother with the little ones in his tank.

Recent Posts