catching fish in open water

Reaction score
HI Every one, can some one please give me some advice on how to catch fish while snorkeling, i know you can use some chemical to make them drowsy and then catch them but i'm not sure what it is.

And what is the eziast way to remove anemones from rock?

Thanx

Hi Nico. Nope the use of any forms of chemical for catching fish is illegal and not good in terms of the specimens health.
In order to catch your fish, make yourself 2 nets, 20-25cm diameter (You can use a wire hanger for this). Get yourself some mosquito net and sow it to the frame. Make the net about 30cm deep.
Remember the idea is to chase the fish into the net using you hand or the other net, not chase after the fish. Let the fish come to you. Be patient ;)
Oh yes, and dont forget to obtain your permit.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know you can use some chemical to make them drowsy and then catch them

Yes, it's called cyanide - totally ILLEGAL and IMMORAL, so don't do it :nono:

And what is the eziast way to remove anemones from rock?

What type of anemones are you planning to remove, and how many.

As far as I know, it's illegal to catch fish or remove invertebrates for resale if you don't have a special permit.

there are chemicals that can be used safley to euthenise fish but i feel it is unethical to use them.... also they are very very expensive and given the volume of water you will be using them in it would be very impractical... i know its a mission but outwitting the fish to catch it is very rewarding... i have been surprised at the number of inventions i have engineered to capture fish:lol:.. nothing like hard work good fittness and a good system using nets to get the adrenelin going...

cyanide kills too much other life on the reef....dont use it,also will harm the quality of the specimens you collect.

Hi guys, Im also planning to go down to the coast and catch some fish / corals and bring back up to JHB. I have a few Q's...

1. Can i catch the fish 2 days before I go back to JHB?
2. What must one do to keep the fish and when transporting back to JHB?
3. How much is the permit, where do I get it from, and what permit do I ask for?

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom