Catching a hawkfish

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Furbz, 15 Mar 2010.

1. Furbz

Furbz

hey guys,
    i really need to catch a hawkfish in my tank...
    its a coral hawkfish.

any ideas on how i can do this?

and anyone who gives the idea on how to catch him and it works...
    the fish will be yours for free! :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman

good luck, they are the hardest to get out. I got mine out by blocking half the tank off with nets, then moving rocks across. I tried everything else.

4. FransSny

FransSny

with magman..good luck bro, have a look guys have come up with some awesome DIY fish catchers,

5. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

How about using his/her favourite food on a small little hook? i have used this method successfully before. Just be very careful that one of your other prized specimens doesnt take it instead;).

good luck man, i hop im a hawkfish richer

6. JD167

JD167

I've used the coke bottle method with great success last week. I caught 2 Dominos and a yellow angel with it. Have a look at this link. Simply cut the the top part(1/4) of the coke bottle off and place it inside the other 3/4 of the bottle. I punched some holes close to the edge and used rubber bands to tighten and keep the reversed side in place. I didn't want to use tie wraps since I would want to get the fish out quickly and not stress it.

Just place some of it's favourite food inside and weigh the bottle down with a piece of LR. Place it horizontal on the substrate. Depending on the size of the fish you want to catch, you may have to cut the neck of the bottle off before you put it together. And make sure there are no sharp and pointy edges for the fish to injure itself on.

This trap really works great!

7. magman

magman

my problem was that "I missed the first time", and then he became scared of the nets. Then he got scared of the light from a torch, in the end I had to move rock.

Best bet is try to make sure you get him first time if you havn't tried already.

8. nakoma

nakoma

the best is to do it at night when they are sleeping using a blue light or red abut 2 houers after they went to sleep meaning lights out dark for 2 houers then the fish sould be in a deep rest state if you then turn on the blue light or red it takes them a while to realise what is happening before they go to sleep you must take carefull note though of where he is goin in then before turning on the light move the net into the place where you are planing to get him from and using a large cable tie push it in from behind the hole he is sleeping in and there you should have a hassel free catch well this has worked for me evey single time

9. JD167

JD167

In a big system it's difficult to catch these buggers with a net. It might just stress them and all the others out more. Try the fish trap method. It really works.

10. keyaam

keyaam

I have to catch a fish soon and dont feel like taking apart my reef. How long does it take?

11. maj

maj

the bottle method worked for me when i tried catching my shrimp....and did this with lights on

12. JD167

JD167

keyaam, depends what kind of fish you want to catch. If he is a curious little guy that likes to poke around at things, and you place the correct food in the bottle you will catch him in within the hour. They have to get used to the bottle first though. Just place the bottle in a spot where the fish frequantly goes.

My one domino took about 2 days and the second one another day or so. You will get some false positives with other fish also going inside(if they can fit). So you have to keep an eye on the trap. At one stage I had 3 fish in the trap. Just put the right food inside.

13. JD167

JD167

yup lights on worked for me. When the lights are off they ignore the trap and food completely.

14. keyaam

keyaam

I need to catch the devil. He is curious so it shouldnt take longer than two minutes

15. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Did you manage to get him out Furbz?

Recent Posts