Catching a fish

Reaction score
I have tried to catch a damsel with the normal net method with no luck.

Any suggestions that don't include removing the entire reef or emptying the tank etc.

moz

Reaction score
Fishing hook with no barb.

Reaction score
I have tried to catch a damsel with the normal net method with no luck.

Any suggestions that don't include removing the entire reef or emptying the tank etc.
Time to build yourself a fish trap

http://www.floridadriftwood.com/fish_trap.htm

If not you could always buy one......

These work great and can be used in any reef system without removing anything

Best of luck............... and remember patients is the key.

moz

Reaction score
If you really get desperate I have a friend who swears that he could remove fish (permanently) form a tank using a spear gun, he says its much easier than a net.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Warren, let us know how it goes if you try the 2L coke bottle method.

Reaction score
Good luck Warren, those Damsels are crafty buggers.

I've danced with a blue devil damsel in the pale LED moonlights for many hours..

Reaction score
You corrupt/misquote metaphors, I love it!

The "Joker", prior to murdering young Bruce Wayne's parent's AND later on before he shoots Bruce...then grown up into BatMan?

Great year that '89!

ONTOPIC:

- Trapping, as described in link- After Dark capture

will be your likely method.

Good luck Warren, those Damsels are crafty buggers.

I've danced with a blue devil damsel in the pale LED moonlights for many hours..

Reaction score
Warr, if you got some time this also works - start feding your fish with the net - place the food in the net and then net into tank - soo they will eat out of the net -move onto a bigger net and soon when you put the net in, even without food, the fish will move into it. takes time to get them used to it though - i am going to start this today

Reaction score
Warr, if you got some time this also works - start feding your fish with the net - place the food in the net and then net into tank - soo they will eat out of the net -move onto a bigger net and soon when you put the net in, even without food, the fish will move into it. takes time to get them used to it though - i am going to start this today
Good idea, I am having to do the same thing with the fish trap. they know this is not normal and won't go in :(

Reaction score
OK, I have tried everything to get this dominio damsel out my tank - fish trap, feeding from nets, after dark capture.

What else can I do, is there anyway of euthanasing the fish?

The damsel is really hurting my maroon clown and I would like to introduce chromis into the tank soon.

moz

Reaction score
Try fishing for him, a small hook (no barb), I have heard this can work.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Patience is the key Warren, also try placing a mirror on the side of the tank, the aggressive fish should start attacking his own reflection and leave the clown alone.

Reaction score
take the other fish out - should be easier and less stress for them and then dynamite the bugger -

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr - you have not responded on Viper's question. Let me re-iterate:
Take a white see-through Coke (or similar) plastic 2 litre bottle. Cut the top 3rd off (JUST below where the bottle becomes a trough shape....)... Take this top section, invert it and place it back into the open end of the lower 2 thirds of the bottle.

Place some food in the bottle, and place the bottle in the bottom of the tank.

Perhaps you will have to cut the section of the "trough" off, where the bottle top/lit screw onto - as it might be too small for the fish to fit through....

This has worked quite successfully in the past.

Try this and let us know?