Casdcade hang on Filter

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Hammerhead, 27 Oct 2011.

1. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Hi

I have a Cascade 300 hang on filter which i have no use for and I'd like to know if chemical media (GFO's) can be used in these or even carbon. I will replace the cartriges with either Carbon or GFO and mod it so that the media cannot escape back into the sump. Could this perform as a reactor as i understand reactors basically extend the contact time with the media and prevent grinding by carefull waterflow to prolong its lifespan and to prevent "dust" from entering the system.

If the throughflow is too much and causes the media to boil, could i not just pack more media into the canister or is there a recomended amount of media to add per litre in your system?

Could i put a prefilter on the intake to reduce the waterflow or somehow reduce the intake, (the filter currently has a throughflow reducer).

What is the flow rate through a reactor?

Will this become a nitrite factory?

Is my line of thought correct?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Braco

Braco

I have the same filter i would like to utilize as well..so i guess i am tagging along..;)

4. ScottK

ScottK

I personally found that using this kind of filter was not the most effective method. It will be better than not using anything but I really struggled to get the media fluidized. The floss I had to use to stop the media flowing out restricted the flow too much and became a major detritus trap.

This method can work but needs a fair amount of maintenance. I ended up with purigen and phosguard in bags inside the filter for a while, eventually i moved to proper reactors as they just work better.

5. Afsal

Afsal

Filter bags with the media in them will work better imho

Last edited: 27 Oct 2011
  6. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Thread Starter

reactor it will be then, will use the cascade for AC then,

thanks guys

Recent Posts