Carter's new 65L Nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Carter-PE, 13 Mar 2012.

1. Carter-PE

Carter-PE

October 2011 saw me start a real nano tank - Jebo R338 35L. Some guys said it wouldn't be long before I got a bigger tank. They were right. By the end of January 2012 I had "upgraded" to a 2-foot tank (approx 78L). Actual water volume is less than that because I haven't filled the tank too high, water level is about 50mm from rim. I may have gone a bit bigger but space constraints, unfortunately, limited me to the 2-foot. And thanks again to the space limitation, there is no sump.

The Jebo R338 was a nice starter but as so many reefers have said, bigger is better (and easier). My wife noticed my new found obsession for marine latel last year and so gave me a voucher from a LFS for Christmas. So through January I got some cash together and started buying the extra bits I needed for the bigger tank. The voucher went towards the tank.

I probably went about the transferring of rock, substrate, etc all wrong but I wanted it done in 1 afternoon so I could get the new tank going. What I did was transfer several pieces of live rock, 10L of water, and 2kg of subtrate from the old Jebo to my new nano. The only livestock that I had and that was transferred was a blue-eyed hermit and some mushrooms. To start with I had to use the lights from the old Jebo R338 (as per the pic below) because I needed to wire a tube to the ballast. The water for the new nano was a mixture of 10L water from old tank, 18L NSW, and 35L RO/Salt mix.

The nano setup is as follows:
    Tank: 610w x 320d x 400h
    Lights: 3 x Reeftek 24W T5 (Blue, 12000K White, Actinic)
    Waver: 2 x Resun Waver-2000 (200lph each)
    Protein Skimmer: Resun SK-300 (300lph)
    Cascade 150 HOB filter (540lph)
    150W Heater in cover
    Arag Alive Indo Pacific substrate
    11kg rock

[​IMG]

My 3yr old son wanted to add in some shells we picked up in jbay during Dec. At this point, I hadnt added the hermit and mushrooms. Those were waiting patiently in another bucket. More pics to follow...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mc

Mc

Looks like you have gotten off to a good start, these tank are addictive.;) I also ran a small tank with a hob filter for a while and it worked quite well.
    What are you planning to keep in it?
    What rock is that?
    Is that light attached to something?

4. nepellew

nepellew

Tagging

5. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

They are very addictive! Sometimes find myself sitting at my desk but watching my tank. I couldn't tell you what rock it is. I got it from a local MASA member. Think he dived it off PE or transkei coast. He had it lying in his garden for a while. The light is actually the hood from the Jebo R338 I used as temporary lighting for a couple days. Planning to keep about 8 fish, eventually, and some easy to keep corals. Still got those mushrooms, got 2 heads of frog spawn over the weekend (pics to follow). Loving the frog spawn so hoping to get some more next week. Maybe some star polyps. If I see something I like at a LFS, and its suitable for my tank and fairly easy to maintain then I may get it.

6. Mc

Mc

Sounds good just not sure if the skimmer will handle all those fish.
    I also find myself sitting in front of the tank staring and I thought it would wear off after a few months. Whats in the hob?

7. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

After the tank was setup, I got a cheap plastic canopy from a LFS and started to fit the lights. Only had a single ballast so fitted the blue light first. Had to wait a few more days before the dual ballast came in to wire up the white and actinic bulbs.

[​IMG]

When the dual ballast arrived I quickly wired up the other 2 bulbs.
    [​IMG]

There was just 1 problem now, the cheap canopy looked horrible with with bulb connections and wires sticking out the sides... (no pic, sorry). So decided to build a new canopy...

8. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

Hob has a floss pad and phos remover pad. Skimmer is rated for a 90L tank. Will keep an eye on it and replace if I need to but for now it seems to be working fine.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2012
  9. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

And so I got started on the canopy
    [​IMG]

When I cut out the back of the canopy to allow space for the skimmer and hob, I made a balls up and had to swap the skimmer and hob around in the tank. No biggie tho. Took a few days cos I primed the wood and then sprayed it. So between building and then wiring, it took about a week as I only had small bits of time in the evening after work to do the painting, sanding, and spraying. Once sprayed, I hooked up the ballasts, wired and fastened the end caps and put in the bulbs
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Light order from top: blue, 12000k white, actinic.

10. Mc

Mc

Very neat DIY.

11. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

And so the canopy went on
    [​IMG]

And so for the last 5 weeks it has been running with the following livestock:
    1 x blue eyed hermit
    1 x green mushroom
    6 x purple mushroom
    1 x feather duster (There are now 7 feather dusters on the 1 rock)

12. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

Thanks

13. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

Over the weekend, I decided it was time to add some more livestock to the tank. So I got a yellow-tail damsel, 2 x blue-green chromis and a frog spawn ( 2 heads/bulbs). I must be honest though, I have fallen in love with the frog spawn. Looking at getting another one next weekend... I am away this weekend.
    [​IMG]
    The hermit spent most of the day around the frog spawn,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. toppdogg

toppdogg

hey carter looking good dude
    just a question where did you get the waterproof end caps from ?

15. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

Pet Boutique at The Bridge. Speak to Gareth. If he's not there then Tyrel should also be able to help.

16. toppdogg

toppdogg

17. Bluemotion

Bluemotion

@Carter-PE tank looking good. Just a quick question, what type of wood did you use?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  18. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

Thx!
    Good question but I dont remember. Went to Builders Express, found a large board and asked them to cut out a few pieces to my measurements. All I remember is that's 8mm thick.

19. mandarinman

mandarinman

Wow looking good!. Thanks for the reminder of how we can stick to basics and enjoy!. I would suggest collecting a 25 l of natural seawater and doing a waterchange once a week. it will really help with a multitude of smaller avoidable problems without much effort. feel free to ask questions. there are numerous guys who are supersmart and helpful in a humble kind of way. believe me it has helped me through many frustrations. ps if you want info to read ask belindamotion to find it for you. she has a nose for these things and is pretty helpful.

20. Carter-PE

Carter-PE Thread Starter

Thx Mandarin!

I do 10L weekly water changes. Either NSW or RO/salt mix. How long can you store a 25L bottle of NSW for? And what do you need to do in order to store it?

21. 2balive

2balive

Looking great, good reminder that small tanks can be great.

Keep an eye on that yellow tail, can be very aggressive/territorial. I would also wait before you add more LPS until the frog has settled, once happy they expand a lot.

Enyou!

Recent Posts