Carrier Pigeon beats Telkom ADSL

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by Alan, 9 Sep 2009.

1. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Seems to be a larger problem with ADSL than usual, bloody slow at the moment all over KZN.......any other areas affected.
    Anyway true story to follow.

Birgit Ottermann
    Cape Town - Winston, a homing pigeon, has made history by beating a Telkom ADSL line in delivering 4GB of data from Howick to Hillcrest, outside Durban in just 2 hours 6 minutes and 57 seconds, whereas the ADSL download was "still just under four percent complete" at 11:45.

South Africa's most famous pigeon, left Howick just after 10:00 on Wednesday morning and flew a distance of around 70km to deliver a data card (strapped to his leg) to financial services company The Unlimited at its head office in Hillcrest.

Winston easily beat the ADSL line, despite giving it a 26 minute head start, while stretching his wings and waiting for the company data to be downloaded onto the memory card.

A confident Winston flew straight to his home in Gillits, outside Hillcrest, from where he caught a short car ride to reach the Hillcrest head office. Homing pigeons have a natural ability to find their way home from any point of departure.

Winston enjoyed huge support with messages from fans on his Facebook profile and constant tweets on his Twitter feed.

He himself also twittered several times with comments like "flying weather cloudy and cool, feeling good, no major problems to report... Hillcrest traffic is a worry".

Right from the start, the general consensus was that Winston would beat Telkom.

Cyber Stone Age

South Africans have long lamented the country's slow internet connections and limited bandwidth.

Despite the launch of the new Seacom cable about two months ago and promises of superfast internet at affordable prices, South Africans are still stuck in the Cyber Stone Age.

The Unlimited Group initiated the pigeon race after intensive research in alternative methods of delivering electronic data fast and efficiently.

"We came across the lesser spotted internet protocol: IPoAC or CPIP, commonly known as Internet protocol over Avian Carrier or Carrier Pigeon Internet Protocol respectively," the company said in a statement on their website.

Hundreds of fans followed Winston's historic flight online, however, many of them had to settle for Twitter updates, as, ironically, their internet connections were too slow to watch the live stream.

"Crap! Internet connection useless! Unable to watch live stream, plse post running commentary so we know how Winston's doing!," Jackyah333 tweeted on Twitter.

"Yeah thats why this #pigeonrace2009 is a great spectacle of telecoms inadequacy [​IMG]" another Winston fan Kahlil_Incubus added.

According to a Sapa report, Telkom spokesperson Pynee Chetty declined to comment on Winston's win, requesting the news agency to send questions via e-mail.

For more information about the pigeon race visit the official website.
    - News24

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boendoe

Boendoe

LOL they just showed it on the news. Nice going Telkom.

4. Alan

Alan Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

I love the way they refuse to comment........

5. Boendoe

Boendoe

Funny that we alway get that response Telkom, Eskom ext.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Last week I had to upload a 160meg file to a FTP site, took me 3hours 45minutes.
    The guy in Norway (not Crispin) downloaded it in 35minutes.

7. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

hehe this is good to show telkom they suck..

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

That's true telkom does suck...

9. superscenic

superscenic Galactic Archchancellor

We should mix artificial batches of Pigeon poop like PETA's fake blood (against fur) and "decorate" some telkom offices. Suck on that you Tekom F#*kers!

10. lIghty

lIghty

guys, not just telkom and eskom, any service dept where the goverment has a hand. Just noticed... the both finish in "kom"?

PS. Give a new meaning to airmail!
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

They should trade the "k" in for "d" in their names! It'll will bring justice to their names!

12. keyaam

keyaam

:lol::lol::lol:

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

eskom could re-arrange ek'sdom

14. superscenic

superscenic Galactic Archchancellor

Damn, I missed the news report on TV, that must have been funny. I bet this hilarious little news topic is going abroad.

15. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I'm sorry guys but articles like this is stupid. Its like one of the comments said. Can the pigeon do skype? Can the pigeon deliver something worldwide?

I wish they would compare apples with apples and not apples with cows. It was all just a marketing stunt for a small company at the expense of a major corporation. I love my Telkom ADSL line, and NO I do not work for telkom.

16. Tony

Tony

Go Winston. I laughed when I heard this on the radio yesterday

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes, I do agree, we not comparing apples with apples. It is not fair.

The pigeon cannot do Skype.

But it is cheaper to feed it than my Telkom bill. :)
    And it will fly an extra 10km without demanding more food.
    And it can deliver 4G faster than my capped 2G ADSL line.

The point is the service we get sucks, and we pay for it as if it is gold.
    3 years ago I worked in Japan, and in the BMW head office I could watch streaming LIVE video of the World Baseball finals. Here I cannot even check a 8sec video clip without 2 or 3 waiting periods. Imagine watching the Curry Cup finals as a streaming video on your PC.

18. Alan

Alan Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

You like being over charged for something out of the stone age?????

19. crispin

crispin

Norway is broadband heaven. i take my internet tablet in my pocket and use the wireless gfrom filling stations to sort oput accomodation (im not a big one on planning ahead) when i was salmon fishing:) it truley is available everywhere (all coffee shops etc) for free and is fast. :)

20. crispin

crispin

you might love them, but that doesnt make them good! :)

21. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

No. I just dont like it when people compare two totally different things.

What percentage of people in this country have access to ADSL AND who pays for it? Now the telecoms people have to spend billions to upgrade the capacity so that we can have fast internet. This cost has to come from somewhere and they are not going to do it as a public service. We are going to pay for it.

So that billions will be split between the few people in this country who does have access to ADSL and thus making it even more expensive. Until our country actually make use of the benefits of fast internet I do not see reason why we would want it so fast. How often do you download big files (big meaning 100s of megs)? Apart from the illegally downloaded movies and series and music?

If all the supermarkets and other types of stores support online ordering and delivery etc then I would say yes we need faster bandwitdh. But for now my 384K line is enough. And if I wanted to hten I could always go for the 4MB line.

Recent Posts