Carpet Surfer Mesh

Reaction score
hi guys, with my new tank i'm going to have a completely open top and was worried about jumpers

i really don't like the idea of getting a YT for over a grand & then coming home to a carpet surfer

i came across this thread (Reef Central Online Community - **Clear** Mesh Top) on RC where this guy created a cover using some sort of plastic mesh, it looks like it works great as it still allows most light through (& it doesn't melt under the halides)

i like the idea a lot but would perhaps find a way of clamping it to the tank (the force of a large tang jumping would surely be too much for the mesh to stop it???); oh & i was only thinking of running it while i was not at home so not to spoil the rimless look...

just wanted to get your thoughts on it; have you done something similar & what mesh & frame you would use...

cheers
ant

Reaction score
dude my tank is open top, just have the euro bracing along the sides and my light pendant quite close to the suface of the water. haven't had any jumpers yet, 7 months down the line...

Reaction score
never say never dude ;)

i don't have any bracing as my tank will be rimless so i'm already having nightmares of finding all my fishies on the floor :lol:

Reaction score
I agree it looks crap but that's why ill only run it when I'm not there, wanna make it easy to remove and clean...

Reaction score
Tough decision to make Punk.If you're really worried rather make one that you can completely remove and hide behind the tank when you have friends/guest over and replace when you go to work etc.

hotdog83

Clone Fish
Reaction score
Or just a neat mesh fence on a type of pulley system maybe? Then you can just hoist it up to the roof whenever you are there and let it down when your not. Maybe easier than to remove the mesh and stash it somewhere all the time?