Carpet anemone

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Nippy, 23 Sep 2010.

1. Nippy

Nippy

Hi there guys

Please could u help with some advice, this morning i witnessed my carpet anemone falling off its rock, :( what could have caused this and what could i do to help it, I placed it on another rock:whistling:, looks like it has taken, not sure though.

Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Nippy, carpet nennies would be most comfortable on your substrate (their foot attaches to bottom glass) & not the rocks. How long have you had it? Give it time to settle and you will find that it will eventually make it's way to the substrate...IMO

4. Nippy

Nippy Thread Starter

Thanks gMAN, I have the tank for about 3 weeks now, bought with nennie in, it was on a rock when we moved the tank, and was doing fine, but this morning it fell off, so should i move the substrate and put it on the glass?

5. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

don't think you need to do anything, let it find it's own comfort zone. do you know how long the tank was running for before you bought it? also be careful it does not wander into your powerheads. what you can do at the most, IME, is place it on the substrate and let it attach itself to the bottom glass...

Reef Maniac likes this.
  6. Nippy

Nippy Thread Starter

The tank has been running for two years, everthing else is fine. also while i am communicating with u, could u advise on a good test kit, I have a tropical tank and used that to do a nitrite test, but need to do the rest, like calcium,magnesium, etc

Thanks.

7. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I think "SALIFERT" would be good, speak to the guys at Idol Marine for prices...

8. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

Idol Marine - 0113121485

9. Nippy

Nippy Thread Starter

Thanks gMAN, really appreciate it.

10. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

:thumbup: glad to be of help, keep us posted on the nennie..

11. Nippy

Nippy Thread Starter

will do

12. Anemone

Anemone

What is the salinity at? Can we have some information about the tank, size, equipment, lighting, etc. Definately get some quality test kits, and let us know what your parameters are. You may also want to see if your LFS will check your parameters for you.

13. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

If you moved the tank, you disturbed the equilibrium and most likely caused some die-off of small critters living in the sand and/or rock. If the live rock has been exposed to air, or kept under stagnant water (with no water movement), then you have most likely also lost some of your filtration bacteria. You should thus consider your tank to be only three weeks old, and NOT two years.

Without knowing anything more about your system (please tell us, as Anemone asked...) I would guess that you have had an ammonia/um spike, and that the tank is in the process of cycling again. If this is so, then your anemone is trying to escape from the toxic pollutants (ammonia and nitrite) caused by the die-off.

There are three species of anemones generally referred to as "Carpet anemone". Two of these species (Stichodactyla gigantea and Stichodactyla haddoni) live in sandy substrate, and the other (Stichodactyla mertensii) live on hard (rock) substrate. Most "carpets" in our tanks are generally of the sand-living types, though, as gMAN stated above. They ideally like to wedge their "feet" between a rock and the bottom glass, or between two rocks buried in the sand. The sand substrate must be fine (not crushed coral) and as thick (deep) as possible - 100mm - 150mm deep would be OK, but deeper would be even better (depending on size and type of anemone).

Some very good info from Dr. Daphne Fautin here.

Hennie

Last edited: 24 Sep 2010
  14. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

And if you can post some pics of the nennie and the tank

15. Nippy

Nippy Thread Starter

I posted some pics in the gallery if u want to see.

16. Nippy

Nippy Thread Starter

Here is some info on the tank and the move, I bought a 600l tank, with about 40kg LR, also has a carpet, rose anemone, bubble coral,lots of different coral,some fish,brittal stars, i have a sump filter, with a DSB,skimmer and a chiller,the lighting consists of daytime two 150w Metal Halide running from 08:00 until 18:00 and then the softer lights will come on at 18:00 until 20:00. With the move, i bought some medical oxygen and hired some polystyrene boxes, I packed all LR into polystyrene boxes with water totally covering it, all fish i put into packets with oxygen, and coral also into packets. One problem we had was that the one glass on the sump filter cracked with the move so that had to be replace, so the sump was not working for about three days. the move took about two hours, and was setup again after about four hours.

your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

17. Anemone

Anemone

The anemones and tank look pretty good in the picture. Was this taken before or after you started having problems with the anemone?

When you replaced the sump where did the water come from? Was the water stored from the move? Freshly mixed synthetic salt? Collected from the ocean?

How are you replacing evaporated water?

Also, it is not a good idea to mix different species of anemones. Has there been any change in the anemone?

Have you tested your water parameters, and what were the results? We really need these to be able to help.

18. Nippy

Nippy Thread Starter

I moved all the water in 25l drums, replaced about 75l of salt water whice i bought from my LFS and tested the salinity. I have a 30l bucket with a top up pump that replaces evaporated water, I tested nitrites and ammonia levels both on 0ppm, tested Salinity is on 1.026, I bought the SALIFERT test kits for Calcium, magnesium and alkalinity, but not too familiar with them so battling a bit to get a proper reading, will be going to idol marine on friday for help.There has`nt been any changes in any of the other fish except for the carpet.

Thanks

Recent Posts