Carpet Anemone

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by marinenoob, 27 Jul 2010.

1. marinenoob

marinenoob

Hi, I have recently purchased a carpet anemone. It is approx 20cm in diametre. When i saw it in the LFS it was standing upright under lights and looking great and was the same in my tank for about two days. Then this week as soon as the lights go on it goes flat and its mouth is open. but when the lights are off it come to life. My tank has been running for 1 years six months approximately. any ideas?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

What are your water parameters? What lighting are you using? What is the size of the tank? What other equipment do you have? Tank mates? What lighting was it kept under at the LFS? Can you post of pic of the anemone?

4. marinenoob

marinenoob Thread Starter

Params are norm and i was running five t5's but they stopped working yesterday so got a temporary fitting with a single MH, and four t5's. my tank is 1.2m 300L tank. fish is one common clown(not hosting), 1 regal tang, 1 yellow tang, 1 african wrasse and two sand gobies.

5. Anemone

Anemone

What is the height of the tank? How many watts is the MH and T5? Other equipment? What lighting was it kept under at the LFS? We really need actual numbers with the water parameters, especially the temp and salinity. A pic would be very helpful, but if you can't please describe the color of the anemone.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

I'm still learning:p but I'm also thinking the height of your lights over the nemmie is also important and the lighting period over the nemmie might also assist everyone in assisting you;)

7. Anemone

Anemone

Lighting period does play a role in the mix. However, with an anemone that has been in the tank for only two days, I'm more concerned with what it was kept under at the LFS.

8. chikaboo

chikaboo

And what about the height of the lights over the water in proportion to the height of the water in the tank and where exactly the nemmie is sitting (at what height in the water)

9. Anemone

Anemone

Height plays a role, but two days of lack of lighting isn't going to be a life threat IMO. If the lighting is much stronger than what the anemone is used to, yes, it will be getting light shocked. Even if he has adequate lighting, if the anemone was kept under low lighting conditions at the LFS, it will need to adjust and be acclimated to the brighter light, or "sufficient lighting". If it was kept under low lighting for a long time, there are likely some health issues with the anemone, would need a pic to say for sure.

I don't want to alarm the OP, what he is seeing may be normal from the anemone being removed from one system and placed into another. If he is lacking in lighting, it will need to be corrected, the sooner the better...but two days isn't going to kill off a healthy anemone.

10. marinenoob

Hi,

The anemone has been in the tank for a week now actually. But when i came home last night he was sitting high on the tank on the back glass. please see attached pic

[​IMG]

11. marinenoob

Sorry just spoke to my wife and she says he has now moved to the bottom of the tank again. he did however eat last night. Is this a good sign?

12. dropzone newbee

dropzone newbee

that be 1 nice size nemme

tagging here
    good luck

13. Anemone

Anemone

You may want to cover those powerheads...soon. It may be looking for more light or more/less flow. Eating is a good sign, but we still need the answers to our other questions.

14. marinenoob

hi,

sorry that i haven't responded but i had a total die off on Sunday. I am totally depressed. My fish were all swimming around and all looked healthy but when i came home in the evening all my fish were dead. my alk and ph was extremely high, but im not sure if this was caused by the deaths or caused the deaths.

My clowns and corals were showing strain but are still ok. The anemone was also ok. i did a 50% water change and yesterday i fed the anemone. today while checking my tank the nemmie swelled up and shot out a large amount of brown slimy stuff and is now all deflated. is this because of the feeding and what is the brown stuff and is it harmful?

thanks,

15. Anemone

Anemone

How high was the alk and pH? This may have been the problem all along. The deaths did not cause the high alk and pH. The high alk and pH may have caused the deaths...depending on how high.

Yesterday you fed the anemone? So it wasn't a "total" die off? What exactly died, and what exactly survived? I'm confused!

Deflated and brown slimy stuff....Sounds like it's expelling waste....normal.

Once again, we need a complete list of your water parameters, with actual numbers. We are also going to need to know what test kits you are using.

Recent Posts