Carpet anemone problems

Reaction score
I bought a carpet anemone and tamato clown yesterday as the anemone hosted the clown. I introduced the clown before the anemone into the tank and it immediately went into the purple tip anemone that I have. It has not gone into the carpet anemone yet. The carpet anemone does not stay attched to anything for longer than a few hours and after reading about them I am affraid that it will kill the fish or maybe the leather coral. Where is the best place to try and place it: rock, glass? Any advice? Should I try to take it back?

I don't recommend keeping mixed species of anemones together, unless you have a hugh tank. Was this carpet anemone recently collected or shipped? Don't try placing the anemone, it will go where it wants.

I don't recommend keeping mixed species of anemones together, unless you have a hugh tank. Was this carpet anemone recently collected or shipped? Don't try placing the anemone, it will go where it wants.

I bought it at the local pet shop on Satuarday. My tank is 1.5 m (5 ft). I hope it is big enough? It looked ok this morning (was stuck to a rock and was wide open), but now it looks a bit lifeless. It will still attached itself to my hand when I touch it, but not as vigorously as before. I have tried to feed it a small piece of prawn tail. It takes it, but does not eat it like my purple tip anemone. I have also opened up a space between the substrade, hoping that it will attach itself to the bottom of the tank.

703484d2719c6332.jpg

Hi Hendrik - give it some time to adjust. Remember - it's stressed out from the relocation to the new tank. How long did you acclimatize it for? For anemone's you should ideally acclimatize quite long - between 1.5 and 2 hours minimum I would say....
try and keep the lights for a little bit longer at first.... until the anemone has settled... This SHOULD reduce stress.....

Hi Hendrik - give it some time to adjust. Remember - it's stressed out from the relocation to the new tank. How long did you acclimatize it for? For anemone's you should ideally acclimatize quite long - between 1.5 and 2 hours minimum I would say....
try and keep the lights for a little bit longer at first.... until the anemone has settled... This SHOULD reduce stress.....

I acclimatized it for 1/2 hr. What does it eat?
Should I keep the lights longer on or off?

feed it defrosted seafood.... shrimps, fish etc. keep the lights on for the normal photoperiod.... they need light to grow

1/2 hour was VERY VERY short taking into account the differences in the water in your tank, Hendrik, and the water in the LFS tank where you got the anemone from.

Henk - I don't totally agree - YES - Hendrik should keep the lights on WHEN the anemone has stopped stressing, but keeping the bright lights on while the anemone is still stressing is not the best of ideas. It would recover much faster when you would only run your actinics, as it is not as stressful on the animal.... As having the full bright lights on it...

1/2 hour was VERY VERY short taking into account the differences in the water in your tank, Hendrik, and the water in the LFS tank where you got the anemone from.

Henk - I don't totally agree - YES - Hendrik should keep the lights on WHEN the anemone has stopped stressing, but keeping the bright lights on while the anemone is still stressing is not the best of ideas. It would recover much faster when you would only run your actinics, as it is not as stressful on the animal.... As having the full bright lights on it...

From my previous experience on all my other invertabrae and fishes, 1/2 hr was enough. Next time I will kown better. Which is the actinics - blue or white?

Hi Hendrik -

Photo-period is the amount of hours that your light is on.
The actinics are the blue globes.
And with marine invertebrates we have found from past experience that the longer you can acclimatize your inverts, the better their rate of survival....

I don’t agree Jacques. Judging from the photos that nenny still have photosynthesis’ capability and it needs food to grow. I would most def keep it under a light source to allow it to use its photosynthetic capability to feed it self and repair and damage that was done.

It should also be fed supplementary food of defrosted (VERY IMPORTAND: DEFROSTED) seafood.

:) No probs Henk! And I agree totally with you on the feeding! At least once every week. Perhaps 3 times a week in the beginning...

Jacques, I think you were right about the lights.
This morning it was again stuck high up on a rock and looking good.
As soon as the lights (blue only) went on, it started to fall off.
I did switch the lights off, but it did not help or was too late.
I am not sure if it should do it, but during the day it looks lifeless and during the night it comes alive. Is that normal or is it still stessed? Or is it still looking for a suitable "nest"?

Hello Hendrik - the anemone is still stressed. It will most likely take at least a week or so before the nemmie is really settled in....
How much flow do you have in your tank?
What lighting was the anemone under at the LFS? How long did the LFS have the anemone for, before you bought it?

Hello Hendrik - the anemone is still stressed. It will most likely take at least a week or so before the nemmie is really settled in....
How much flow do you have in your tank?
What lighting was the anemone under at the LFS? How long did the LFS have the anemone for, before you bought it?

Hi Jacques, it was better today. It was stuck to the side of a rock, but there is brown star polyps on top of it and this evening it proceded to climb onto it.
I removed the star polyps rock from the base rock it was on and placed it onto the sand bed and a little bit later the anemone was off the base rock again on to the side of the star polyps rock. Is it looking for food?
It has not eaten since I got it on Saturday.
I do not know how long the LFS had it and I think they have T5s.

Hi Jacques, it was better today. It was stuck to the side of a rock, but there is brown star polyps on top of it and this evening it proceded to climb onto it.
I removed the star polyps rock from the base rock it was on and placed it onto the sand bed and a little bit later the anemone was off the base rock again on to the side of the star polyps rock. Is it looking for food?
It has not eaten since I got it on Saturday.
I do not know how long the LFS had it and I think they have T5s.

Sounds like he is looking for better lighting or he is not feeling secure where he is.

All my nemmies like to have rock for the foot to attach to and another to "cover" their back.

Back
Top Bottom