Carpet Anemone not eating

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Omnitank, 30 Oct 2013.

1. Omnitank

Omnitank

I bought a carpet nenny about two months ago at the LPS.
    After proper acclimation it settled for about three days and started to "walk". (Pretty normal as I have read). Soon afterward it settled with its foot firmly on the bottom glass and its "back" covered by rocks. It has been sitting there since that time. Since day three my Clarkii has been hosting in it, and soon afterwards was bullied out by a bigger Percula.
    Problem is, it is not eating nearly as healthy as it should. I feed a variety of stuff, from fish, shrimp, Mysis etc.) but it doesn't take the food. It looks fine, open and without signs of deterioration.
    Should I worry? If other guys say their carpets eat thrice per week, I struggle to let it take ANYTHING! I don't see that the clown feed it, it's not aggressive toward fish or anything.

I see that the rule of thumb is: if it's not moving, it's happy. Is it generally true?

My tank is 700 litres and all the parameters are in check except for the Ca and PH which is slightly too high (but not drastic)

How should I entice the carpet to eat, and what can I feed it?
    (My wife believes that a healthy nenny is a eating nenny!!!)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

they are photosynthetic as well so they dont have to eat when we want them to eat.

what is the pH?

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I think you should let it be .. especially if its not showing signs of stress and deteriorating health .. maybe it feeds when you don't see . but think it would be movie a lot if it was hungry or not happy

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

as long as it is not loosing colour.
    Then it means that it have enough internal alage to sustain it and it seems content.

Also how big is the pieces you try to feed to it?

6. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

a pic speaks a thousand words...

7. pkc

pkc

Anemones show that they are suffering by going pale or shrinking over time and of course by moving around a lot as you have been told.
    I always feed via a squeeze bottle with a mix of near everything based mainly on limpets and cunjevoi with 4 time the oceans salt content in that mix for all anemones.
    They are easy to keep.

8. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

a mate of mine bought 1 from a lfs, took it home n placed it front n centre. it never moved n inch, but he noticed his fish started to disappear! i mentioned that they will also eat small fish....
    he decided to take it back! he lifted it off the sand n found most of his 'missing' fish in different stages of decomp... the funny thing for me was the annie wasn't eating the fish, merely killing them n storing them.. for later?

9. pkc

pkc

That’s the same with all anemones, some move, some do not, it really depends on your aquariums flow,lights etc,etc.
    They are quite unique anemones for sure, personally I hate them, we use to collect them for the aquarium market but for me, no way, they are too dangerous to other marine life.
    The thing you noticed with the fish we found with crabs and other crustaceans with them more so as we would dig them out, not very deep into the mud-sand and usually they would expel heaps of life at varied stages of decomposition as well.
    My fav time with the carpets is when one of the other commercial collectors young offsider was dared to sit in one near a metre across,lol, he couldn’t get out on his own, it was well and truly attached to his wet suit,lol.
    That was a long time ago, with global warming there are no big ones any more, except in open ocean and they are rare and very bland.
    I still see the usually green, brown, mauve, yellow, multi coloured types, blue ones, all kinds of colours and no way will I bring one back any more!
    You will as with most reefers, get past keeping one.

Last edited: 30 Oct 2013
  10. Omnitank

Omnitank Thread Starter

Ph is 8.4

The biggest pieces are about 2 cm
    I don't even know what cunjevoi is??? pkc could you explain the food mix for me please? It sounds interesting.

Gary, the pic is for you, fortunately I still have all my tank mates :thumbup:

20131029_182413.jpg

11. Gary Roebuck

Gary Roebuck

looks healthy enough to me.....

12. pkc

pkc

I agree it does look fine.

13. Omnitank

Omnitank Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I feel better already.

I guess that is the advantage of having buddies online who can help with advice. ;)

14. pkc

pkc

15. Omnitank

Omnitank Thread Starter

Thanks pkc

You answered a question I had long ago regarding a very wel-known type of bait that we use in SA. Her we call it "rooi-aas" (red bait). I was wondering whether it could be a source of food for marine tanks.

:thumbup:

16. pkc

pkc

It is the best of the best as a food source!
    Just don't put a lot in at once and if you do, not longer then two hours for fish to pick at it, or it will kill your PH

17. Omnitank

Omnitank Thread Starter

RiaanP, it does seem to loose some colour. It could be my imagination (or the fact that I saw other guys' ) but what does it mean when he is losing some colour?
    :(

18. pkc

pkc

To much phos,to much nitrate, weak lights or fading light colour intensity, high temps,incorrect salinity, fluxuating Ph, low KH, to much co2, those sort of things may make them gradually drop the symbiotic algae or are unable to make more.
    Give them good quality varied foods, and if they eventually turn white it matters not, just directly fed them correctly and it will be fine if the waters are okay.
    Then find why it is bleaching and fix it and it will take on colour again.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2013
  19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

take another photo at the same time of the day a s the one you posted 3 weeks ago. And compare the pictures.

Recent Posts