Carnage

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Brendan6, 25 Oct 2013.

1. Brendan6

Brendan6

So while I have been away, my lady has been looking after my tank and doing water changes and tests for me. She takes a drive to my place to do this so she doesn't spend hours staring at it during the evening.

Now the problem, my torch coral has been half eaten and my peppermint shrimps have vanished.

I was given some live rock from a guy who has a few kj's of fiji in a small container, (heater and powerhead running) with no light for 2 months. When I added some of the rock I discovered that over night my hermit was torn to pieces, I found this guy...
    [​IMG]

He was removed. Everything has been aces since that, say 3 weeks ago.

Now, my beautiful torch coral is half of what it used to be. is there a good chance there are more of these crabs in the LR?

Another strange thing is my salinity has droppedfrom 1.024 to 1.018 almost over night. Previous tests were done 4 days ago and read 1.024.

I have no livestock other thank a CUC, a porcelain crab included.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mewik

Mewik

Anything is possible, best bet to find out is to keep checking at night, or set some traps and see what you catch.

4. jimilutz

jimilutz

If your salinity dropped that much then perhaps your lady did a water change and replaced salt water with fresh water? The salt dos not disappear on its own, nor does it get used like alk and calcium. This change may have hammered your torch.

5. Mewik

Mewik

If you have an ato the tank might have a small leak and the top up is diluting the salinity

6. Brendan6

Brendan6 Thread Starter

Haha she uses natural sea water so that's not the problem. Honestly the tank is brand new, so a leak seems unlikely.

7. seank

seank

I would first question the tester.... Maybe get/borrow another and test again.

8. crispin

crispin

agreed with sean, with a swing that fast in salinity its most often the testing equipment.

9. Brendan6

Brendan6 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys, I will lend so of a mates equipment.

Recent Posts