Carlos's 600l Starfire Rimless WooHoo

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by CarlosF, 9 Oct 2012.

1. CarlosF

CarlosF

Hi guys so i have decided to upgrade again this time going for all the best that i can, i have learned where you save money you will later spend more to replace or fix it..

My new tank is 120x80x60 3 viewable sides are starfire glass and black silicone. tank has skinny over flow with returns also in the over flow

Sump im keeping it simple and only going for mechanical filtration sump is only has 2 compartments and then a auto top up chamber..

in the sump i will be using a vertex filter sock holder with vertex filter socks, my skimmer is a JNS SK3, will also be running a JNS Alpha 2 pellet reactor with vertex pellets and then lastly a JNS FR-2 Carbon Reactor with vertex carbon and thats it for filtration that will all be in my sumps first chamber. second chamber is only my return...

For flow i have 2x hydor Koralias 8(4400lph-15000lph) and 2x hydor koralias 7(3500lph-12500lph) controlable dc pumps running from a hydor koralia wavemaker 4 controller.

as for lighting i still havent decided yet as i still have to cycle and all that but will be some form of LED...

this will be a SPS dominated system so i hope i got all the basics right..

i will also only be using dry rock and no live rock as i am sick of the aptasia farm i have going at this moment...

here is a front side view :yeahdude:

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

o and my stand is 1.2 meters hi thanks to @mariusmeyer after seeing his tank i knew i wanted a hi up tank

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

Here is a pic of the sump

[​IMG]

5. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

Looks great!! Pretty much exact same filtration system but 1 size down on skimmer, pellet reactor and carbon reactor

Last edited: 9 Oct 2012
  6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Definitely tagging along, i love simple setups... Makes keeping marines easier & much more enjoyable at the end of the day!!!
    Be sure to keep us updated!!!

7. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

Thanks alot @SApicoreef 3rd tank in 2 years but its what i always wanted..

thanks @Visser thats the plan keeping it simple to simplify things lol. this will be much better than my cube that you have seen thats a promise

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

It sounds like an awesome system.....can't wait to see how your tank turns out.....also really love that size....looks like someone else took a trip to TSR;)

9. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

haha you could say that lol..

but dude your cube is looking sweet too love the black around the tank still havent decided what i will be covering mine in.. but ja got tank last night so started with ro should take another day or so and then i can move on from there should be up and running within the month :peroni:

10. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

Sheet!!!! You must try get some Perspex........the stuff is amazing.....if you going to buy get clear Perspex and I will show you how to get it to look amazing

Also don't feel bad about the amount of tanks you've had!!!!!

I have had 15 tanks literally and I'm only 15 years old.....that's 1 a year from the day I was born and the most at one time was 4 cause I wanted to breed discus(freshwater) but my cube is my second marine tank

11. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

isn't the perspex gonna cost a shit load, my girl would flip if she knw what everything cost me lol and she wants a ring (you cant do nothing with a ring lol)... but will def have a look at the perspex your tank looks real sleek

12. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

For lighting go for the ilumina or if you wait get the ecotech marine radion xr30w pro fixture.....will set you back 12000 a light though and you would need at least 2

Last edited: 9 Oct 2012
  13. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

yeah lighting is my biggest problem i would love the vertex but at this moment a bit out of my price range.. i am waiting for the maxspect Razor leds to land this month and will be looking at them a bit more affordable for now

14. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

It only cost me around R1000 for all three sheets..... Buy 3 mm or 6 mm perspex.... For your tank it won't be more than 2500 and you'll never have to worry about sealing it with like wood etc and it will last for ever

I use wood on one of my discus display tanks and after 8 months it looked like S#|T so I had to buy another r1300 cabinet

15. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

ok so you say i must buy the clear or do i just get it in black?

16. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

They have some good review in the US

17. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

yeah thats what im thinking they have nothing bad to say on reef central doesnt have all the bells and whistles like the radion or vertex their nice to have but can do without them

18. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

I wanted to get black but at the places got mine the clear was much cheaper and even when I brought the paint it was still cheaper than the black Perspex

Get clear perspex......it really is amazing

Will post a thread in the DIY forum about making the Perspex covering

19. CarlosF

CarlosF Thread Starter

ok awsm thanks man will def see into it, but first have to get the rest sorted for my bday end of the month so i can put my pressies in the tank lol

20. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Looking good, just a note as a fellow guitarist: Move that amp and guitars!
    I would not be able to sleep knowing my amp was that close to water!

Can't wait to see it running!

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That ladder will be used every day....

Anyway. I would test that stand first. Fill the tank with tap water and see if it flex. I had a tank moving as I swiped the magnet cleaner. I'm sure that once your tank is filled that it would also flex. Adding triangular support top and bottom should make it extremely stable. I welded in 100mm steel plates cut from corner to corner and problem was solved.

Check Marine Aquariums South Africa - View Single Post - Upgrade my Downgrade for another idea.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2012
Recent Posts