Carbon Footprint

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Warr7207, 6 Jul 2009.

1. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sara, do you know if there is any research on the carbon footprints of Marine tanks ?

Working out the actual power usage (lights, pumps, heaters etc.) of the tank is easy enough, but I would be interested in the consumption of Carbon by Corals, Coralline, Algae and other creatures (clams....maybe??)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

intresting question warr :)

i wonder if we shouldnt look at the carbon footprint on imported LS opposed to locally caught as well.

ps your carbon footprint is way out of whack with all those flights tio china and burning of petrol as you thunder thru mud on that scrambler.....

4. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

Believe or not, I have planted 10 trees in the last 6 months, which off-sets my travelling via car, bike and plane, but not sure about the tank :p

5. crispin

crispin

herbs might grow into trees but you still smoke them so that doesnt count! :) nice try though LOL

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

LOL!
    Cool!
    I have also gathered about 20 plants! ;)

I am QUITE sure that corals adds to the offset of the carbon footprint!
    BUT, what about ATS?!?!? Algae scrubbers? Chaeto?

7. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

good question, tagging along

8. Boendoe

Boendoe

Maybe we can get carbon credits :p

9. FransSny

FransSny

Very interesting question Warren,

Wouldn't this be very difficult to calculate though. As far as I know (not a science boff) but the amount of gasess absorbed is dependent on temp / pressure etc......

Would like to know though.....would make me feel less guilty about the amount of water I waste when doing WC

Last edited: 6 Jul 2009
  10. sihaya

sihaya

Great question! I'll need some time to answer it properly.

11. Tony

Tony

I'm no scientist but they do take up carbon dioxide during photosysthesis which is a form of carbon just like trees would. The oxygen exchange that takes place at the water's surface also introduces CO2 along with oxygen which will get used up by photosynthetic corals. I don't think my tank will save the planet but it may just offset the running costs carbon footprint. So now I must plant more corals:p.

12. Warr7207

Warr7207 Thread Starter

This is exactly why I ask the question. With us running huge MH's for 6-12 hours a day, our creatures are going have to consume huge amounts of Carbon to offset the CO² released by our coal-powerstations

I like your thinking :)

13. RUAN

RUAN

lol:lol:

14. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Excellent question

15. christiaan

christiaan

Tagging along here too - I'd think that corals, ATSs etc dont stand a chance to offset the footprint left by big return pumps, cooling heanting and lighting. So when I put up my next setup I'll budget in a couple of bucks to plant 2 trees - just to be VERY sure that I'm covered.

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I think that this would/should be a very good way to do things, for every new pump/power-head/lighting unit we add to our tanks, we should plant some kind of plant/tree/shrub... ;)

17. christiaan

christiaan

Agreed but not only to tanks - I love gardening so I apply this rule to my whole life...

18. timhar99

timhar99

I don't think that planting a tree is enough. Remember that it's not just the running cost of our systems but the effort used to get the fish, corals, rock etc into our tank. The plane flight from indonesia, the transport to and from airports, the electricity used to make the glass and equipment etc etc etc.
    I think if we are really concerned with our carbon footprint then we need to be doing more in terms of aquaculture, so that we don't need to transport our beloved fish and corals across the world.
    Just my opinion

19. sihaya

sihaya

Sorry I haven't responded to this yet... in short, I don't know what the exact numbers might be... but I'm sure a reef/marine aquarium is a drain on the environment so far as it uses electricity (and as far as it requires the production of synthetic salts, fish foods, etc.).

In my opinion, I think responsible reef keepers (the people who actually take the time to learn and do things right), are in many ways more a force for good than evil. Of the problems (those caused by man) facing the wild reefs, I'd say marine aquarists are far down in any listing of greatest to least harm. Take the whole "live rock controversy"-- Walt Smith sells rock that would otherwise be pitched or turned into pavement. What's more environmentally "friendly:" harvesting coral to pave drive ways or harvesting them for people keeping them as "pets?" Reef aquarists also contribute (in at least some ways) to general knowledge (and awareness) about corals/fish/etc. All in all, if I were feeling guilty about my impact on the environment, I'd sooner become a vegetarian again than give up aquarium keeping...

Warr7207 likes this.
Recent Posts