Carbon dosing

Reaction score
I'm currently doing huge amount of research on carbon dosing. I notice the most basic/trusted method is Vodka, however I have read that some use White vinegar, sugar or Vitamin C.

Any one that can share how they dose any liquid form carbon?

Just a point of interest, have anyone ever tried to dose Pure Ethanol? Looking at Pure Vodka it is a source of Ethanol...
@dallasg @irie ivan

Last edited by a moderator:
I dosed vodka.

You could use pure ethanol, vodka is basically watered down ethanol anyway. But vodka is a alot cheaper and easier to get hold of.

i use normal vinegar, cost me R110 for 20L
very cost effective as just as good as the rest, also no risk of cyano

I do vodka .... Works pretty well brought nitrates right down....you can google the table and it will show you exactly what to do...very easy to follow

d95d3440c4bf03c69b968d864e541e39.jpg

What vinegar?

Must it be distilled white wine vinegar or is normal white vinegar at 5% okay?
I see they might have some preservatives in the normal one?
I read an article that suggested vinegar is better than vodka as bacteria can utilize it better, also stipulated less likely for cyano outbreak.

Just normal 5% white vinegar. You can normally get in 5ltr at bulk supply stores. Here in jhb I just get from Westpack 4x5ltr cost almost nothing

Can you explain the graph.
Is that total ml over that given week or how does it work.

Its ml per day for the given week. You also need to keep testing cause once you reached your desired result you wont be increasing your dosage amount but rather doing a maintance dose

Back
Top Bottom