carbon dosing(vodka,vinegar or sugar)how does it affect cyano appearance or growth

mandarinman

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
carbon dosing(vodka,vinegar or sugar)how does it affect cyano appearance or growth?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Carbon dosing, if used correctly will help bacterial growth, but it shouldn't fuel cyano which tends to use phosphates, but you will need to research the methods and fully understand the need before chucking vodka or vinegar in your tank.

Reaction score
:) Hi i have just started the sugar treatment.
you start with enough sugar to cover your fingernail and disolve it warm water, you add this to your tank. you increase the doseage everyday for 14days until you have a cloudy haze in the tank. once you have had this happen the amount of sugar that coused it lets say 1teaspoon you will half it and thats what you will put in the tank from now on. dont worry about the haze it will go away and you will notice how clean your tank is, people that have had this happen to them though there was something wrong and gave a water change and lost the entire tank. you will have a cup full of brown crap from the skimmer every couple of days until the tank has stablised.

Reaction score
sugar are meant to provide bacteria with carbon to allow them to proliferate quickly, and bind up nutrients in the tank. so if you do a large water change at that time of bacterial bloom it could shock the system. for that reason you should trim down your skimmer until the bacterial bloom is over usally lasting 2 days

Andreas

Flame Angel
Reaction score
:) Hi i have just started the sugar treatment.
you start with enough sugar to cover your fingernail and disolve it warm water, you add this to your tank. you increase the doseage everyday for 14days until you have a cloudy haze in the tank. once you have had this happen the amount of sugar that coused it lets say 1teaspoon you will half it and thats what you will put in the tank from now on. dont worry about the haze it will go away and you will notice how clean your tank is, people that have had this happen to them though there was something wrong and gave a water change and lost the entire tank. you will have a cup full of brown crap from the skimmer every couple of days until the tank has stablised.
There is no such effect with dosing vodka. There is no visual difference at all

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
sugar are meant to provide bacteria with carbon to allow them to proliferate quickly, and bind up nutrients in the tank. so if you do a large water change at that time of bacterial bloom it could shock the system. for that reason you should trim down your skimmer until the bacterial bloom is over usally lasting 2 days
I have dosed vodka and vinegar, while doing normal weekly water changes never heard or experienced anything like this

scubaninja

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
i dose vodka, never had a tank go bad, but did once have a bit of a white cover on my glass on the water side which comes off, but never had it go bad cause of water changes.
Posted via Mobile Device