carbon dosing and lps corals

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by frankie fish, 3 Mar 2012.

1. frankie fish

frankie fish

I am planning to start with carbon dosing(vodka),my question is,will it affect lps corals negatively?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

no it shouldnt at all.

4. frankie fish

frankie fish Thread Starter

Thank you,coz currently i'm having a few softies,zoas and lps,and do not want to stress and lose them.

5. crispin

crispin

FF, what sort of carbon dosing are you planning on doing?

how long have you kept the tank and how much have you read about carbon dosing, its definatley worth studying a little before you start dosing. Also id only recommend dosing carbon is a relativley stable tank else you can send things south fast.

what bacteria product do you intend to dose with the carbon source?

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It might affect them if you running the tank too "clean", meaning a very low nutrient system due to too much carbon dosing. Unless you feed them once or twice a week what they require.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2012
  7. crispin

crispin

i agree to a point Tobes.... i think a system like zeo where you run the nutrient level on a knife edge will impact LPS as you suggest, but i think carbon dosing as in adding vodca or vinigar wont drop the nutrient levels to that extreme (although it can when dosed heavily and in conjunction with bacterial dosing and water changes.)

Hence my wondering which system of carbon dosing FF was thinking of doing.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

@frankie fish no the LPS will be fine. I used to vodka dose when I only had LPS and zoas in my tank. I never got to LNS with vodka and I was dosing 6ml in a 550L system at one point lol..

I hope you read up on vodka dosing and take it nice and slow. Oh and very important is that you have to have a good skimmer. You want something with a needle wheel impellar and bubble plate. Have fun :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Munky82

Munky82

Honestly my lps did much better in my old 1.2 while dosing vodka , compared to my 1.6 with np pellets. Don't know why.
    Maybe I should get off my butt and do some research !

10. mytank

mytank

Well NP is much more effective removing nutrients, so I am sure you have much less nitrates. LPS thrive with higher (to a degree) nitrates in the water column.

I would suggest supplementing the water column with some food at night like cyclo peeze or brightwell. Reef pearls, just to keep the feeding of the LPS going. Be sure not to over feed otherwise you will have a nutrient problem.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  11. frankie fish

frankie fish Thread Starter

I am running the tank now for a good part of 4years uninterrupted. It's a 1800x600x600 dt.with a 1500x500x400 sump,connecte to a 4ft tank(rdsb). I am planning on only vodka dosing,and my skimmer is a ts2(is it too small?). What would the ideal staring dose be?

12. Tremayn

Tremayn

yip your skimmer is too small and also not efficient enough :( ... YOur system is waaay bigger than mine, mine is only 550L but by skimmer is huge (reefocto nw250)... Before you start with vodka dosing look into getting a better skimmer as you will need to pull out all the extra bacteria. You will see your skimmer pulling out like a mother!

read this to start you out on vodka VSV | Achieved through Observation and Experimentation

IMO vodka will be the right thing for you. I even started to keep sps when I was vodka dosing but its not as aggressive as np or zeo.

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

Recent Posts