Cape West Coast Aquarium

Reaction score
Anyone with a Cape/West Coast aquarium?
Was wondering what the pros and cons might be of such a system.

Keeping it cold enough is the biggest obstacle. They can look pretty decent, but you are limited to what you can keep.

They can look pretty decent, but you are limited to what you can keep.

Is harvesting your own livestock the only option of supplying a coldwater tank?

Pity most of the cold water species fish are not really colorful. The inverts are. Nice color urchins and sea stars.

Keeping the temperature below 18, better at below 16 is the challenge. You will need an oversize chiller.

Couple of years ago an old MASA member did run a big cold water system. He was from Cape Town area. Cannot remember his name, sorry.

Keeping the temperature below 18, better at below 16 is the challenge. You will need an oversize chiller.

Riaan, if my system is 200cm x 80cm (wide) and 70cm (deep), what sort of chiller would be ideal without going for the very best the market has to offer?

You'd have to speak to a shop but I've never seen cold water fish imported.

I am actually looking at displaying only local fish. There are amazing fish in the cape waters - not to mention nudibrancs and the like. Its something I could combine with my scuba diving hobby.

However, are permits available for undersized protected species?

Looking at a chiller for a 1000L system at least. If normal marine tan.

Your case I would go for a chiller rated for a 2000L system, or for 2 chillers rated for 1000L each. If something goes wrong with the one you still got backup.

Your case I would go for a chiller rated for a 2000L system, or for 2 chillers rated for 1000L each. If something goes wrong with the one you still got backup.

Is there a specific brand you would recommend?

not using a chiller. Cannot say which brand is better.

you'd need to assess your surroundings of where your tank is placed to see what effect it has on your tank. definatley try go bigger on your chiller than required to ensure it is strong enough and wont labour. this may assist with stretching its lifespan.

Pity most of the cold water species fish are not really colorful.

I do really like the catalina goby though. Was sooo tempted to keep one but would have reduced its lifespan in my tank :(

Back
Top Bottom