Cape Town water quality

Discussion in 'Fresh Water Tanks Discussion' started by hartz, 28 Mar 2009.

1. hartz

hartz

I used to add Ph-Down to my water. Then I started Peat-filtering, and I got a very neutral Ph level without any buffering.

But over the last about 4 months I discovered that the tap water has a very low Ph.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Peat filtering of course jsut makes this worse and my fish are dying.

I have stopped Peat filtering for now but I don't have a way to get the Ph up, and water changes just makes it worse! Help!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

Try airate water before you add it to your tank and you could also add a neutral regulator. What is your ph?

Last edited: 28 Mar 2009
  4. hartz

hartz Thread Starter

The PH is off the scale of the test kit I have. These 6-in-1 test sticks goes from 6.4 to 8.4

I am guessing my tap water to be about 6.2 and my tank to be about 6.0 right now (there goes another two test sticks)!!!!

How do I airate the water? Stir it? How long? Put an air-stone in it for some hours? What effect will this have? And please forgive my innocense, but what is a "neutral regulator"?

5. brentnorm

brentnorm

Where about are you in Cape Town? Do you have airstones in your tank ? A neutral regulator will return your ph from high or low to 7.0 which is neutral. Neither acidic or alkaline. Those test sticks are really not that acurate. Get yourself a good make test kit or even a ph alert which constantly monitors your ph.

Recent Posts