Cape Town NSW

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am emtying my FOWLR tank for a number of reasons.

1.I want to kill the algae plague that has caused me sleepless nights for the last year.
2.I want to reenforce a certain section of my tank

I am currently faced with the dilema of collecting tons of NSW or purchasing large quantities of salt.If I collect NSW I need to get a trailer and 500 litre drum long term for water changes.(costly short term but will pay itself back)If I use salt I need to purchase enough for about 500 litres per month.I also need to fill 5000 litres initially.
Do any of you have experiance with parametres of sea water from the research institute?
What would you advise me to do NSW or salt?
As a last resort can anyone with a bakkie/truck lend a hand to fill the tank if I can provide the container 500litres or 1000 litres,I know its a big ask!!!

would love to help but i'm a bit far..... why not rent a car trailer or something as they can take about 2.5 tons if i'm not mistaken.

Best of luck

Hi Flappy - WOW! What a huge task. I have had a 1000litre container of NSW delivered to me once, by the LFS in Bothasig. At the time, they charged me R200 for this delivery. It was collected from the Research Institute.
I found NO ammonia/nitrites/nitrates in the water at the time of delivery (I used my Salifert test kits to test).
Also, the SG of the water is/was 1.024.
I cannot say anything bad of the NSW at either 2 Oceans or the research institute.

I've created a reefstatus account for Two Oceans Aquarium. Please feel free to update them if you collect water from there. Login at www.reefstatus.com, use login TwoOceansAquariumCT password sark. It might be useful to see how the water varies over time, and/or how members test kits vary.

i do work at the Research aqurium and can confirm that the water is very good. Just dont collect water there directly after heavy storms, as the extra foam/debris can sometimes clog the filters a bit, leaving the water a little less than ideal.

Hi 459b - just a question - perhaps you know of, or can find out - yesterday, someone told me that the water a the 2 Oceans is currently a little bit "off" for some reason, and a lot of CT reefers are having terrible set-backs with their corals.... Would you be able to confirm this or not for us? Would you be able to find out?

Jacques, i am using NSW from 2OC.. you saw my tank.

I lix 75L of NSW with a bit of r/o I have found the salinity at 1.026 I bring it down to 1.023 or so before doing the water change weekly. I have not found any problems using 2OC. But that is just my experience.

I wonder how many guys used 2OC and had problems, then changed to salt or research water and the problems just went away ? I doubt very many. All you have to do is go to 2OC on a Sat morning and check the guys standing in a queue.

If you want I can ask Kevin or someone to organise the CTRC a water params breakdown which we can post for members maybe weekly. What would you be interested in seeing ? Phos, MG, Cal.. what else, alk..

Back
Top Bottom