Cape Town - do not collect water - west coast

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by HenkHugo, 19 Apr 2011.

1. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Last edited: 19 Apr 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. maxisoft

maxisoft

Could this be the fear we have been anticipating for a while? Could this have anything to do with Koeberg, Radiation, etc?????:eek:

4. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Good find, Henk. Thanks for sharing. Very interesting is the comment about the cargo ship. I am almost certain, that they release something into the water. For what other reason would the same cargo ship come to the same place? The news were spread about the crossed waste pipes. So now that there is already a problem, we can get rid of our problem, too.

5. keyaam

keyaam

Could this be the reason 2oceans shutoff the collection tap over the weekend

6. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@sean_koekemoer you see now!! Just look at what the fish you put back did. :whistling:

7. AndrévN

AndrévN

Not nice at all. What are we as humans doing to the earth that we call home and eat from.

8. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Ever since that ship got beached in Blouburg fhese strange thing have been happening & I thought that ship is leaking some sort of toxin. What I have found strange is that the rock pools by Big Bay use to be deep & full of life & over the months I've noticed that these pools are filling up with sand which has berried every life form in those pools including a massive load of nennies, urchin, fish inverts etc.. Surely that can cause these toxins? MCM keeps on saying there is nothing to worry about. I know from experience that after my nennie got minced by an unguarded pump it killed everything living in that tank. So if 100's & 1000's of nennies get killed what then? A toxic bath? On sunday I collected some of our local hermits from one of these pools but have not added them to my system yet but all are still living, What should I do with them? Keep them in QT & for how long & what to treat these little buggers with?

9. AndrévN

AndrévN

I wouldn't know my friend. But ill be to scared to add them either. And yes nemmies makes a toxic soup when diced and or unhappy about conditions they are full of chemicals that'll kill everything in their way. Even little rock anemones ive seen that first hand when i added a rock to my sump and with them sulking they where actually releasing chemicals that had my leathers close up for 3weeks before i found it was them and after moving them everything went back to normal without adding anything. You may be correct.

10. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

@Tony Ingram - can you perhaps share your personal experiences with this matter

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. regis

regis

wow. that is shocking.

12. HenkHugo

HenkHugo Thread Starter

13. Tony Ingram

Tony Ingram

Hi guys.
    Myself and a few mates do a lot of fishing (almost everyday) in the areas between Melkbosstrand and Milnerton we catch 4 main species Cob, Steanbrass, White Stump and Galjoen.
    For the last month and a half we have not really been getting any fish compared to what we where catching last year round about the same time.
    We noticed that the water had a bad smell to it a few weeks back around about the same time when the fish stopped biting.
    Then last week Monday my fishing buddy had just come off the water when he saw a very worried woman standing on the beach with a camera, she stopped him and asked if he had got any fish. She said that she was the owner of the commercial perlemoen boats that come and fish in the Melkbos area. She then said that her divers had just reported that all the pearlies where dead and something is very wrong.
    Then he also saw some sort of research boat out in the melkbos area taking water samples. I have noticed that the beach has this slimy green layer on the sand in some areas , which is is not normal.
    Then we lost one of our rods over board in the shore break in Melkbos and he went to dive it out. We thought nothing of it as we have done this on many other occasions,
    but when he got in the water he said there is a thick sludge on the bottom that he has not seen before. Then to make matters worse he had a little rip in his wetsuit just above his knee and when he took his wetsuit off it looked like he had burnt himself where the rip had been. So what ever is in the water could be an acid or some caustic chemical.
    We have identified 3 possible sources of the problem. Firstly it could be someone in the Paarden island area dumping stuff into the river that is running into the ocean or it could be the ship wreck in blaauwberg or its the sewerage problem at Big Bay where the guys are pumping raw (with all the house hold chemicals) sewerage into the ocean.

I called MCM and they said that they have sent people to do tests on the water. I have also got the local law enforcement involved and they have told me that the guys are working on it. We got hold of KFM this morning and the are doing a investigation as well.
    I will keep you posted as things develop.

SO DON'T COLLECT WATER FROM THIS AREA.

14. Meneer

Meneer

Thanks for the info..

15. HenkHugo

HenkHugo Thread Starter

hectic! thanks for the info!

16. HenkHugo

HenkHugo Thread Starter

Tony perhaps post that story on the Carte Blanch website? Get them to dig?

17. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I 2nd that!!!!

18. Duri

Duri

i read about this earlier today :/

Recent Posts