Can't raise alkalinity above 8.5 dkh

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Tafelsout, 18 May 2016.

1. Tafelsout

Tafelsout

Hi all :)

I have been keeping a close eye on my parameters for the last few days. I tested my parameters and confirmed my reading at my LFS on Saturday and Sunday.

My magnesium is at 1380 and calcium is at 430, however I am unable to raise my KH above 8.5. Tonight when I tested my Kh was at 8 dkh.

I did note that there is some precipitation in my sand bed :banghead: I noticed the clumps of sand on Saturday for the 1st time. Do I need to do anything with these clumps?

I perform weekly water changes using Red Sea Coral Pro salt - 33% water change.

All my test kits are the Red Sea kits. None of them are close to expiry.

Any advice on how to correct this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. gavapotomous

gavapotomous

I had a similar problem when I started and it was my SG was too low. What are you adding to increase the alkalinity?

4. Tafelsout

Tafelsout Thread Starter

Hi,

It's at 1.025. I use Red Sea Reef foundation B

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That is a perfectly acceptable level to maintain for coral health and growth. No need to go higher unless you really, really, really want to.:p

If you are dosing as per instructions then perhaps increase your daily dosage, or try a different product? If you have high consumption in your tank then your alkalinity may be getting consumed before it has a chance to increase, so increasing dosage may help?

Perhaps reduce these weekly water changes to a once a month water change instead?

Tafelsout and Rob13 like this.
  6. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

+1

Tafelsout likes this.
  7. Tafelsout

Tafelsout Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.....guess my purchase yesterday of a chemistry book was a waste :banghead:

Consumption is around 1.2. So by the time I dose it's around 7. Even if I increase the dosage I still can't raise the alkalinity above 8.5 - my dosage since Saturday is 5 ml 2 times a day - that is the max dosage for my tank according to the manual. Will the 7 dkh pose a problem? A dosing pump will be my next purchase.

I will reduce the water changes to 10 litres a week.

Thanks

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I don't know the product you are using, but if it is not working for you then perhaps try something else? Try have go with good old Baking Soda (Koeksoda). Read the second post in this thread...
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/chemical-equivalents.3375/
    No, not at all, albeit slightly on the lower side of the scale, I have seen many successful tanks run on a dkh of between 7 and 8 (which is also what Natural Seawater measures at), even the big guys (scientists) in the hobby recommend anything between 7 and 11dkh.

Tafelsout likes this.
  9. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

Lots of factors influence how much alkalinity your tank is consuming.... Can't remember where but think I read that rocks can consume quite a lot of alkalinity as well.

Is there anyway for you to split this dosage even more? Say 2ml 5 times a day instead of only twice... This may prevent the fluctuation a bit... Other than that, I would test my alkalinity everyday at the same time for at least the next week to see what's going on... If you are not happy and are not seeing any results then you should take the advice of earlier posts and try something else... Aquavitro eight four is on the expensive side but has worked very well for me in achieving a stable dkh.

10. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

you might also want to take a look at your PH. i had a similar problem few weeks back. on my tank i had to dose Reef foundation B every second day. all i did then was put in a air pump with the air stone inside the sump area and let that run for 2 to 4 hours mid day. Alk is currently at 11dkh and ph at 8.2 and airpump is switched on every 3rd to 4th day for 2 or more hours.

11. Tafelsout

Tafelsout Thread Starter

Morning guys,

Thanks for all the help and feedback. I will check out some of the options.

Will keep you posted on the progress.

12. ShLiMi333

ShLiMi333

keep us posted you said? Hows it going thus far?

13. Tafelsout

Tafelsout Thread Starter

Hi,

Sorry, I was affected by the substation that caught fire :( I tried my best to keep the water moving and the temp stable. My generator did not want to work.... Ended up moving my tank to my girlfriends house.

Everything is still opening, but I don't know if everything will make it :( at the moment I am just trying to keep the water quality at acceptable levels.

I found the problem with the alkalinity. The bottle of reef foundation b that I used was defective.

Regards,
    Joe

14. SAReefer

SAReefer

You really don't need Alk above 8.3 for good coral growth. The chemistry involved is complicated but basically your alkalinity is also a measure of the amount of calcium you have in the system. Magnesium bonds the calcium allowing the corals to absorb it, so if Magnesium levels are correct, Calcium is fine then that is just the natural Alk point of your tank. Chasing numbers is dangerous. If your corals are not showing signs of distress and are still growing then it is fine. It's when it gets below 7.8 that it needs correcting but 8.3 is a good number

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Tafelsout

Tafelsout Thread Starter

Hi SAReefer. Thanks for the post. Much appreciated. Alk is around 10.3 to 10.5 at the moment. I try to keep it a bit higher to have a buffer for the lower range. I have a heavy hand with feeding so the system is nutrient rich. My understanding is that the Alk should be higher in a nutrient rich system. I could be wrong though :confused:

16. SAReefer

SAReefer

I'm not sure what effect Alk would have on high nutrients... You would want to lower nutrients rather than Alk. Basically Alk would affect the pH of the tank and affect the ability of corals to calcify, but it can combat the reduction in pH from the cycling of ammonia. While keeping it up at 10.5 is fine, it just costs a little more... Take a look at this article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Tafelsout

Tafelsout Thread Starter

Hi SAReefer.

Alk should not have an impact on nutrients. Sorry, I was in a rush and did not make my point clear. Higher nutrients mean faster coral growth. Corals therefore require more Alk and calcium. I prefer to keep it at a higher range for the parameters not to drop too low if I miss a dose or dose late.

Or I have fallen for the sales pitchof "tons of research done by Red Sea"

Thanks for the article :)

18. 2una

2una

LOL +1000.....my alk sits in the 7's & sps growth is just fine

Last edited: 13 Sep 2016
    459b likes this.
  19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I also prefer keeping ALK at more natural levels. It's much easier to burn corals with high KH, especially when nutrients drop

Recent Posts