Cant get mushrooms to multiply

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Charl_Stanhope, 22 Aug 2011.

1. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

hey Masa.

I bought two rocks like 8 months ago wih some mushrooms on them. on neither of the rocks has any mushrooms split. :banghead:on the one my green mushrooms are not even growing. At least my purple,brown blue(its like a mix) are growing and the one is probably like 8-10cm in diameter but it stays one. Ive moved them all over the tank but nothing seems to be working. Everything else in my tank is really growing(zoas,lps,other softies and even one sps coral.why cant I get a mushroom to split. maybe I should just frag em?

Last edited: 22 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacoc

jacoc

Charl fraging shrooms will only delay it, I won’t recommended it ...all shrooms don’t split they walk if I may use that term...and as they walk they leave a trace of their foot and those traces become shrooms...it almost look like they start detaching but not entirely and the thread might at first look to you as if there is something wrong..this is if the water current pushes them ...
    they seem to detach from the rock but keep a piece of the foot attached to the rock and as they walk they leave this thread of the foot behind attache again and move again until there is no current pushing anymore and that is how they multi ply ...one shroom can leave as much as 10 shrooms in there path with in a few days..and others split in to two or sometimes three...
    this could take months or weeks before they get to this stage...that’s why they say patience is all it takes...they don’t have to be big before they do this...some of mine does it when they are only 2cm and others 5-10cm...shrooms don’t like to-strong currents but need some current...they also make babies right next to them like cloning themselves while standing in one area...

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope Thread Starter

thanks for the info,but its been really long. Im starting to think that maybe I wont get them to multiply. I use to have almosty no bio load and very low nutrients so I thought that maybe they dont like the fact that there is so little nutrients. So Ive increased the bio load a little and also the nutrients went up a little. still barely there but its there,alot of my other corals seems to like it except for some polyps. do you think I should feed a little more and increase nutrients even more,but not enough for bad algaes to grow.maybe that would make em split or "walk" and leave lil babie shrooms behind.:thumbup:

5. jacoc

jacoc

I feed verry little...thats not a isue..how old is your system..do yo have a skimmer on 24/7...?

6. Dlaria

Dlaria

Are we not supposed to run the skimmers 24/7?

7. Seabass

Seabass

Yes, 24/7

8. ed

ed

try turning the rock to the shade to force the shroom to move, it will leave spawn-lings as far as goes. they like moving upwards, so give it space to climb. type of shroom will also help in advise ;)

9. jacoc

jacoc

Carl I looked @ your pics and you need to give it time...I can’t see nicely the shroom pics is not close up....try and put the rock you don’t see growth on in a area where there is very little current..leave it for a few weeks or 2 months it will grow...the brown shrooms you have is still small they grow quite big before they multiply and the green, are they green stripe shrooms..? I can’t see nicely...maybe upload a new pic here...
    Also how were the shrooms atached to the rock...?if the shrooms were glued to the rock it might never multiply or it could take very long...

Charl_Stanhope likes this.
  10. Charl_Stanhope

the green shrooms I have are just normal green .no signs of white on them. will try move them to a place where theres less flow. my system, is 18 months old. I dont know how the shrooms were attached. bought the 2 rocks from lfs.its a sponsor and they have never sold me crap stock. Gonna try move the shrooms to spots where theres less flow. Think they might still be in a spot where theres too much flow. Maybe Ive got too much flow in my tank. Gonna play around with scaping today.weather so crap here so got loads of time today:thumbup::thumbup: will upload some more pics after the scaping. I just cant seem to get my flow like I want it. :banghead: or like my corals want it.:p

11. Charl_Stanhope

Here is a pic of green one. its old(that thing under it,I killed)didnt look like something i would want and didnt feel like aking a chance.these green shrooms are still the same size like 6 months later
    [​IMG]

this one has grown more in a few weeks .
    [​IMG]

this is the other one. its an old pic and its not 8-10cm across.
    they also my oldest ones. zoas just next to them are growing wild,they not close enough so the shrooms or zoas would sting each other.

[​IMG]

will post some more pics of them.can someone maybe id them ,would be great.:)

12. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

Charl, if shrooms gets to much flow, then they will also move. So I don't think the problem is too much flow, because then they will all have moved by now!

13. FransSny

FransSny

Charl if you feed them they will grow faster in my experience. Just note this will play havoc with your params

14. Charl_Stanhope

Hey Frans,what would you feed them?

15. ed

ed

All of them looks like Discosomas, and u don't need to feed them. Moderate light and flow is good. Very hardy and like some nutrients in the water, but they will do fairly well in a low nutrient system.

16. Hermanus

Hermanus

Just give it more time thy will multiply. I have skimmer on my tank 24/7 and myne is multiplying. Dont think turning off the skimmer will make them multiply.

I have heard that shrooms like iodine don't know if this is true or not. In my tank when thy seem not to be happy like to much flow or in the dark under a over hanging rock thy move and then thy multiply.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2011
  17. Charl_Stanhope

mine has never moved in all these months. Everything else in my tank is fine and my water parameters are good. I dont know why they dont multip[ly. Will wait and see if the new frag I got multiplies or just stay single. then Ill have to start looking into things a bit deeper. Moved them into a bit more flow and turned the rock slightly to it side to encourage them moving. maybe they in too little flow. Lets hold thumbs.

18. jacoc

jacoc

they love iodine...little flow to grow big...no under rocks without light...

19. jacoc

jacoc

Bottom line here Carl...current irritate the shroom and it detaches and stay attached with just a part of the foot and the current sweeps it and it leaves traces behind and these develop in to more shrooms...where when they are in lo current areas they will grow big and clone where they are and this unfortunately takes time.. I have never seen a shroom detaching or walking without the help from currents..they ether detach and move with the current or detach and fall to the gravel or lower rock.
    Of the Subject....
    To answer the skimmer issue is something you have to decide on...some run theirs 24/7 and others only half the time or even less...it’s something only you can decide...”what system are you running and the stock you keep....?” answer this question and you should come to a conclusion / answer..
    There is some that will say you can’t go without and some that will say it’s not a must...it’s up to you what works for one might not work for a another but there is guide lines one can follow..
    Like Hermanus said he runs his 24/7 and all is fine in his system but then he runs a sps dominated system...and his tank is quite matured...I can’t speak for sps systems, but as far as softies and lps mix systems goes, running a system with some nutrients benefits the corals...

20. Hermanus

Hermanus

That is way thy move to go to the light and when thy move thy multiply or to get away from the strong flow thy move. That is what thy do in my tank the once that is happy stay where thy are and the once that is under a overhanging rock and not in the light thy move to the light and as thy move thy ......:)

21. Hermanus

Hermanus

And if you just let them be ,thy will multiply over time. Jaco will tell you think that is all he did.

Recent Posts