Cant decided-need help!!!!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dian6430, 22 Jun 2013.

1. Dian6430

Dian6430

Hey guys. I bought a boyu 450 and now need to decide which way i should go with the tank. Tropical or marine? The tank has everything that is needed for a marine tank. Maybe give me some pros and cons of both types. Marine tanks are beautiful and i really like the black aragonite people use. So just some help would be nice

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi Dian, welcome to the forum. no one can decide for you witch way to go. the best will be go through the forum read as mutch as possible about marine ask a lot a qestions and then decide witch way you want to go. theres no pros and cons. if you want to go gold fish, fresh water, there is no way you can compare fresh water to salt water. marine is exspensive hobby, learn and watch.:thumbup:

4. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

@Dorry i understand what your saying and its true but maybe someone as been through the same situation or has done both and can help. Just want to know ,as the money wont be the problem ,think the time will maybe be.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Ok Dian6430 if i had to choose it will be marine, something different and challenging. I am in marine from 1989 and never keep freshwater fish. rather then for me no tank at all. once you in marine you get addictive to salt water. if money at the end is not a problem i say go for it.:thumbup:

6. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

Fresh water tank has nothing on a marine tank fresh water all you do is add water and fish and airstone and you can leave if for weeks with out worry.. Marine tank is a lot more complicated and also more to go wrong because live rock and fish are lot more expensive than freshwater stones and fish. also you will be more involved with your marine tank having to dedicated more time to checking water ph temp salinity and also testing for ammonia nitrite nitrate calcium alkalinity magnisuim phosphates and marine is just 10x as expensive and more things to break down so consider expense and time willing to put into the hobby all the best on your decision

Last edited: 22 Jun 2013
  7. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

Sorry but this is not true. It all depends on what freshwater tank you want to keep. Fish only, high tech planted tank, low tech planted etc.

Freshwater tanks goes through cycling and everything else like a marine tank although less equipment is necessary. Depending on what you do you might still end up dosing and doing water changes every week if you do properly.

Freshwater might be slightly less maintenance, cheaper and a little more forgiving comming to mistakes but still need proper maintenance.

I you want as much as you can out of the tank I would go marine. To get something really cool out of it for freshwater you would need to go high tech planted and then it is rather worth going big.

8. yuma girl

yuma girl

I have both! I started with freshwater and now run one 250'lt Oscar and angel tank and one 200 lt community semi planted tank, as well as my 500 lt marine reef! Yes it takes time and to be honest the marine tank takes up much more time but the difference is incredible!

I love all my tanks and fish. There are loads of factors to keep in mind and money is one big part of it.... Marine hobby is a very expensive one, but a very rewarding one too....

Whatever you decide, its your choice so good luck;)

9. DeanT

DeanT Dean

I started with fresh got bored , had 1 marine reef and 1 fresh and the fresh didn't last very long
    I now have 1 reef 1 fish only marine , no bath water ;-)

10. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments people. @GD P what do you mean with high tech planted tank?

11. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

Upgrading the lights to higher watt, CO2 injection and dosing EI or some other fert regime.

This will allow you to keep some of the smaller carpet plants, the ones that will fit better in your tank. Have a look on this forum Aquatic Plants South Africa - Portal if you need to decide if you want to go fresh water or not.

12. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

Went to that link thanks. Wow that tank looks great with those plants!

13. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

If you want to see really amazing freshwater tanks just google IAPLC results.

14. jono

jono MASA Contributor

I've had both including a planted tank, and there is nothing compared to a marine tank. Its an addiction second to none and if cash isnt an issue then marine all the way. But at the end of the day its your money and ur decision not ours... :whistling:

15. reef addict

reef addict

I have had fresh water tanks all my life! I decided to go to marine as I wanted a challenge. Marine fish keeping is def the way to go if you want to be involved every day with your tanK. One day your tank is aLl ok the next algea from hell! Its the excitment of winning against algea, the excitment of coral growth, frag ur first coral. Buying that expensive fish and watching it thrive. Marine fish keeping will keep you busy.

16. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

@jono that is true just looking for ideas and listen to advice people give who has been through the same dilema

17. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

My personal opinion coming from someone who owned a TL450 and that is also a big freshwater fan is to turn it into a marine tank.
    You find a lot more small interesting things in the marine world than you do in FW.

18. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

Then another question. What is the procedure from a marine tank to a tropical tank, if i choose a tropical route, because the previous owner had the tank as a marine tank.

19. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

@GDP maybe got a link or something explaining everything regarding a marine tank since i only have had fresh water fish before

20. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

I am also new at it but let's call a few of the more experienced guys

@belindamotion
    @dallasg
    @RiaanP

Before you do anything though research both the options thoroughly. Both have pros and cons.

21. Dian6430

Dian6430 Thread Starter

Thats why im here asking the people who know. The tank is empty and will stay that way until i know what i want to do

Recent Posts