Canopy pics / designs

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Wanting to build a canopy for my tank, it will need to hold 8* T5 tubes 50mm apart(400mm total). Was thinking of a unit that the top and front folds back so as to give good access.

If you think you have a good design or actual canopy PLEASE can you post a pic or scetch of it, I would realy appreciate it.

thx in advance.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi lIghty - would have to wait for Kanga or Bruce - they seem to be masters at using Sketchup.......

But this sounds good - only thing you will have to contend with:
- heat (so you will need fans inside the hood)
- where are you going to place the T5 balasts?

Reaction score
Come on chaps, has no one got a canopy on their tank?

Jacques, was thinking of mounting the ballasts inside at the rear of the canopy, will either partition the the lights of with perpex and use a extractor fan to remove heat or just seal off the ballasts as I do have waterproof fittings and still use a fan.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
These are the only pics I have...

001.jpg

02.jpg

3.jpg

Just one big piece of wood for the top, then 2 solid pieces for the sides and then front and back planks on hinges to open up. Use a lot of hinges though, I used 1 hinge every 25 cm's for a 1.5m hood. I screwed my ballasts onto the outside of the hood to prevent extra heat inside the canopy.

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
Viper what is that paint is there a reason for useing it?

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
Whenever there's tank work to be done everyone else is doing the carrying/painting/scraping and Mr Viper is taking the pictures...

Reaction score
IGHTY Only saw this thread now, I aslo intend to cover mine with a hood but have not thought of it yet, send me your tank size and I will see if I can do a design for you. I dont actually know the sizes of the t5s[still need to explore]. Oh yes maybe a pic also so I can see how the tank will be or is displayed, see If I can design something for you.

Reaction score
thanks Brucemg,

Tank is 1.4m x 0.6m.
I can't post any pics now as I'm on my cell phone but its posted under "Lighty's 110g tank" in "Members systems" thx.

Mekaeel what you got up your sleeve?

Top Bottom