Canopy lighting questions

Reaction score
Hi guys

we built a canopy, and there are a few things that have popped up that we need some advice on.

canopy pics attached.
dimensions of the canopy are:
length = 150, exclu the lip over the edges.
height = 35 incl lip
width = 60 excl lip.
width of wood = 2cm +-

questions and issues we've picked up:
1. Weight.
the canopy is made up of pine wood, and painted with primer and then black velvaglo.
braced everywhere, especially the door with plastic braces and very light shelf braces on the door. there are about 9 small door hinges holding the door in place.

it sits on top of the aquaria frame, which has a small lip/indentation, so its actually sitting on a very thin perspex frame, but the canopy frame weight is dispersed across the whole top of this frame.

the weight of the canopy, i cant really confirm, but its not washing machine heavy (my washing machine is pretty weighty) , but its also not feather light.
the door is the scary part, cause its quite large and relatively heavy.

Q: is there anything we should be concerned about regarding the weight? i know ppl say its a vertical weight bearing structure, so it should handle any weight, but its still something to take note of.

2.lighting and heat inside the canopy:
right, so we have drilled 2 vent holes in the back about 8-10cm diameter.
we have 3x radions mounted on an alu frame about 27cm above the water level.

Q: the radions are getting warm, obv warmer than they were with an open top and warmer than i'd like, put it that way.
do radions have a max temp they can handle?

i can feel the moisture in the air inside the canopy, but there is no condensation on the canopy.

Q: do you guys think the canopy has enough ventilation for the 3 radions? and what suggestions from experience, can you guys give me about the situation (heat and light and weight)

hope to hear from you guys soon.

20150809_155033.jpg

20150809_155051.jpg

IMG-20150811-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:
Can add fans to the holes to help with venting the canopy. Can put the fans on simple timer to run the same time as the Radions.

Q: is there anything we should be concerned about regarding the weight? i know ppl say its a vertical weight bearing structure, so it should handle any weight, but its still something to take note of.

You could drill holes into the wall and have the stand resting on pegs

Radion switches off if they get to warm, when their fans fails. They run a bit and then they switch off with the led indicator flashing red if I remember correctly. Most likely they will do the same if the unit overheats while in the canopy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom