Canister Filters

Reaction score
Hello every one.

I have been researching Canister Filters and have decided to make the switch.

I've come across:

1. Dophin C1600

2. Dophin C2400

3. SunSun HW 303-B

4. SunSun HW 304-B

5. SunSun HW 704-B

I have a 200Liter (4ft) tank currently with Live Bearers and Danios.

I want to know what is the best canister filter that will afford me the ability to be lazy with cleaning, as well as provide me with perfect filtration should I choose to switch over to African Cichlids, Angelfish, Gouramis or Discus?

Thank you.

Reaction score
i used both dophin c1000 and cascade 1200 on my 4ft tank back in the days.
both were good cannisters.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
Dolphin and cascade work best for me love the build quality vs the cheaper brands.

Reaction score
Numerous responses so far, right now I'm leaning towards Dophin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
just a question. why do you want to go cannister route? You might aswell get a sump. can do lots more with a sump

Reaction score
just a question. why do you want to go cannister route? You might aswell get a sump. can do lots more with a sump
I have thought about getting a sump, but the thought of having a sump to me, seems like more work. Already with my power filter, I have to clean sponges weekly & for someone like me that seems to have an allergic reaction to aquarium water, a canister filter just seems more convenient for me. I can just disconnect the hoses from it by detaching the hose head, clean what I need to and reconnect. Call it a lazy approach to fish tank maintainence and I do not have a cabinet so I would not want a sump sitting on my tiled floor.

Reaction score
Make no mistake, I have great respect for cannister filters. My Cascade 1000 I clean maybe 6 monthly, my Sobo 8 monthly and my Dolphin 1600 haven't clean since I got it 4 or 5 months ago. I also running a Cascade 500 on a Nuvo 10 with matrix and ceramic tubes and not a days problem. Only thing to watch out for on Cascade and Dolphin is the priming plunger sometimes leaks but it's an easy fix.

Reaction score
No i hear you. I used cannisters for many years. Worked perfectly fine. I still have one standing around begging to be used. I just need to think of something to put it to use...lol