Canister Filter

Reaction score
I have a canister filter. I have neva used a canister filter and wana use this for carbon & phosphate remover.

1.how does get this filter to work??
2.do i fill it with tank water first , then put it on ??
3.it didnt come with the "tap" to stop/slow the flow down so im using normal clear tubing on it.

Hi Afsal, some come with a priming pump and others you will have to fill with media and give a suck on the outlet pipe to start a syphon. These are great as chemical filters, please clean them often.

regarding placing of media , it came with 2 trays , how shud i place the carbon , phosphate remover. also want to use filter floss !!! alan , u didnt forget my frag ???

I would place carbon first and then PO4 remover. Got your frag, just not glued, if you glue it yourself i can drop it off tomorrow at NP.

Leave the filter floss out or place it under the carbon.

ok when the outlet pipe starts the syphon , do i place it back in the sump and when do i switch the filter on

put the media in the canisters 2 trays,fill the canister with water.close it up.swithch the power on and let it pump.some have a knob at the top which require you to pump it a few times to get it to flow.there after,you are cooking :wave2:

ok when the outlet pipe starts the syphon , do i place it back in the sump and when do i switch the filter on
You better put it back in the sump unless you want water all over the carpets, you will hear the canister filling up and once its full switch on.

I'm confused.

You are starting a syphon so obviously the water will now be flowing through the canister, what exactly do you now switch on?

Sorry but I have never used a canister filter.

So the syphon then stops and water will not flow through the filter unless you switch it on?

Reason I am asking is that you don't want a torrential storm going through your phosphate and carbon media, a nice slow flow created by a syphon would suit me fine.

You can't syphon and return water at the same level. You are drawing water from the sump and returning it back to the sump.

Ok, sorry, I thought you were taking from display and returning to sump.

Back
Top Bottom