Candy Store

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Ishtak, 2 Sep 2011.

1. Ishtak

Ishtak

Afternoon boys ang girls!

My new tank is finally up and running and a week into the cycling process. I purchased slagters beautiful monster from him and will hopefully continue the fantastic work he did in the tank.

I made a few adjustments to the setup he had. First I put glass over the slits in the overflow box. Works like a charm now with great surface skimming. Then I changed the sump around taking out the baffles and making the DSB bigger. I have plans to add on an ATU and a refugium at a later stage. I also modified tghe return piping as the return pump I got had a bigger connection than the one he had on the tank.

I've never been the most patient of people so taking almost 2 weeks from collecting the tank to being able to start filling it was torture. The first issue I had was around the hanging of the lights. My initial idea was to hang them from the ceiling, only to realise that I have pressed steel ceilings and didn't want to damage them .. so my Dad suggested I get some brackets to attach to the wall and hang it from there ... great idea! So off to Mica, purchase the brackets and bolts, measure everything up, drill the holes for the left bracket, connect it all up and voila! Then upon doing a weight test this happened!!

[​IMG]

Turns out the bricks in the wall are old!! Soooo I got myself some threaded steel and drilled all the way to the outside of the wall, whacked on a large washer on the outside and voila

IT took me 2 looooong weeks to fill the tank with RO water ... isnt it typical how work/life gets in the way of making water!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm amazed at the amount of muck the skimmer was taking off. I figured it would be clean water! The skimmer is a ReefOctopus NW150, thanks to flamming angel

[​IMG]

A week later I was back off to Sean's place (slagter) to fetch the rock he had been cycling for me for the 4 weeks or so it took me get the tank ready.

[​IMG]

There is life in my tank!! *bounce* *bounce* I got rather excited when I spotted this ....

[​IMG]

Only to be told to NUKE IT! Thankfully I have a supply of Aptasia-X and nuked the little swine.

So this where I am today. Every day I find myself sitting for hours staring at rock. I'm told this is what all newbies go through :) I even got excited when I spotted my first bit of green algae!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a small white tube looking thing with a head with tentacles on it that disappears back into itself when i come closer. I have no idea what it is .. I'll try and get some shots of it, and I've also spotted some purple looking tubes (you can see them if you look closely in the picture above) ... man this is exciting! :)

Thanks for reading this far!

Next on the list of things to do is scaping! :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. flamming angel

flamming angel

Awesome justin. Happy to see you up and running. Soon it will be slow addition of all the goodies you wanting. Well done dude.

Last edited: 2 Sep 2011
  4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

lovley looking system, loads of potential here.. cant wait to see the eventual outcome.. stick with the patience its will be the best thing for your system..

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Congrats man! I also got my tank fro Sean haha.. Yeah I remember my days of sitting and admiring the LR :) .. This is gonna be an awesome tank

6. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

I have some things on the rock that I'm dying to find out what they are! Is there a website (besides MASA) or a book I could purchase to help with identification? Otherwise I'm going to be bugging all of you with pitoores!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Xereo

Xereo

Pic one looks like Bleached Apitasia... KILL IT
    Second looks like a feather worm
    3rd brown star polyps
    4th another feather worm :)

8. FrancoisJou

FrancoisJou

Pic one definitely aiptasia

9. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

Thanks guys :) .. Umm can aptasia move?? I'm starting to think the one in pic 4 (hiding in the rock towards the top) is also aptasia .. *sigh*

10. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

They will spread quickly if nt zapped,an they pack a powerfull sting.... Btw,nice setup, good luck further

11. Xereo

Xereo

yes now that u mention it, it doees look like aptsia ...

Yes they Can move, and yes they Spread like wild fire, and kill everything in there path

12. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

Good thing I have a bottle of AptasiaX at home! *booya*

Last edited: 5 Sep 2011
  13. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

I let the MH's run for a few hour tonight ... WOW!!!! I can't believe how the life in the tank springs out! I found about 10 feather worms dotted around the tank, loads of long beetle like things that I'm guessing are copepods? and few other things. Some of the rock looks like it hair hair all over it :) ...

I thought reading posts on MASA for 2 months would prepare me for all this ... how I was wrong .. this is fantastic!!! I'm loving every minute of having a marine tank so far :) and I haven't even got any fish or corals in there, except for a brown polyp I'm told :)

14. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

@Ishtak .....yeah its a wonderfull feeling seeing new life.... But, watch out for gorilla crabs, most common hitchikers, they come mainly small an grow in ur tank an start eating ur livestock, also mantis shrimps, same story..... Then u mentioned hairy coverage on ur rock, be carefull its nt bryopsis, post pics plz so we can help u I'd it before it spreads, it can become a nightmare

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

This is the stuff that is on a lot of the rocks. I hope it's nothing to worry about as I think it looks pretty cool :)

[​IMG]

This is the other stuff. It's only on 1 or 2 of the rocks .. and very sporadic.

[​IMG]

16. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

MASA gurus! Can someone ID this black thing for me? At first I thought it was part of the rock .... until it moved!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

When in doubt, take it out:thumbup:

18. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

Hey dude,

good progress so far, keep it up :thumbup:

If you are still cycling your tank, I really recommend leaving the lights off. During the cycle, there are plenty excess nutrients in the water, so if you have your lights on you will most likely get algae :(

That first pic : Im not sure what it is
    2nd pic: That is dead/dying green hair algae, siphon it out when u get a chance
    3rd pic : could either be a Stomatella snail or a Nudibranch

19. Ishtak

Ishtak Thread Starter

A little update ... I finally got my LEDs from @Jeann1 WOW!!! I cant believe the difference they make and I'm only running them at very low levels to acclimatise the corals. Once they have settled in I'll post some more pics. I want the corals to pop out before I share everything :)

Before anyone says anything, yes I know all the corals are bunched up on the right of the tank. That is because one of MH lights stopped working. I changed the globes to find it still didn't work. I knew it was going to be a week or so till my LEDs arrived so .. they all moved under the working MH :)

[​IMG]

20. Jeann1

Jeann1

@Ishtak

Glad you like the unit :thumbup:

Recent Posts