candy coral help

Reaction score
hi im new to the site and i was wondering if any one here can help me with a candy cane coral i own. i have a 29 gallon biocube with a flame angle, maroon clown, skunk cleaner, fire red cleaner, a blue hammer coral, an electric green open brain,some mushrooms, a green star polyp colony, and a pulsing xenia colony.

my tank has been up and running for over a year now and ive never had any losses. however a new candy cane coral i got does not seem to be doing well its receeding back into its skeleton. i had it up towards the top of the tank close to the lights and have just moved it into the sand 2day. im hopeing this will help but id like some second opinions.

thanks in advance to every one who replies to this post.

Parameters?

is it in direct flow? if so, move it out of a high flow area

my tank parameters: temp(75 F) salinity (1.022) nitrates (40ppm) nitrites (0ppm) amonia (0ppm) calcium (420ppm) pH (8.4) phosphate (2.7 ppm)

and no the coral was no in direct water flow i know that they arent fond of high water flow.

other than the standard oceanic biocube pump i have 2 korilla power heads in the tank. i have a nano and a korilla 2.

after moveing the coral to the sand in my tank it has yet to change its apearence it still seems to be recedeing.

the lighting in my tank is the standard 36W PC actinic and 10,000k bulbs. along with three moonlight LEDs.

your nitrates are way too high. P04 should be lower - max 1ppm.

Other causes:

sweeper tentacles from neighbouring corals.
big ph swing
low alkalinity and calcium

If i were you i would do a series of waterchanges to bring down your nitrates and P04

Ni Notin2du - A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on-board!

I would also say that your salinity is a wee bit too low. Corals and invertebrates prefer a salinity of closer to 1.025/1.026....

Very slowly increase your salinity over a period of a few days, and see if the candy cane coral get's better.

Back
Top Bottom