candy cane getting bubbles under the flesh

Reaction score
Hi all

I have had this candy cane for about 5 months now and it has been going well, it started getting a bubble on the top of it on saturday , by sunday morning it was gone , now its back, does anyone know what it happening.

my water par are all in check

thank you

i forgot to mention that the mother coloney that is in another reefers tank is doing the same thing

29294cfccea53d509.jpg

29294cfccf01897bb.jpg

please note i have moved this coral away from the light and it does the same thing
it has been in its new spot for 4 days now

thanks

what exactly on the pic r u referring to as i can't see any bubble

another question - how deep in the coral is the bubble? Like does it lie directly under/in the epithelial tissue or is it deeper?
Im trying to think where the bubble could coming form ... is it sitting in an organ or is it forming in the body cavity.

If you have super saturation of air in the aquarium this can happen is a pump drawing in air somewhere? pumps with inlets that cavitate can supesaturate air this can also lead to gas bubble disease in fish- or it can be due to photosynthesis and too much oxygen -waste product being produced before it can be expelled?

Last edited:
the bubbles are just under the skin, infact it is so close to the skin you can just about see through it, the coral doesnt do this everyday maybe every third day,i have moved it around the tank and it still does the same,yes it is the same to 2 heads that get the bubbles, the confusion is that the mother colonie is in another reefers tank and it is doing the same thing, i got this one 5 months ago from the other reefer, genraly the coral is very healthy, except for the bubbles

I've seen this happen before. I have a few guesses, but they're just guesses. One is that the coral has a bacteria infection (all corals have bacteria, but not all are welcome), and the bacteria is producing gas inside the coral (kinda like what happens to people who are lactose intolerant -- the lactose doesn't get taken up by the stomach so it bases through to bacteria in the colon that eat it and produce a gas). My other guess is that the coral is having some kind of trouble emmitting the gases it naturally produces in the usual, more steady, unnoticable diffusion-type way and so the gas is accummulating in the tissue.

This is what Bob (Fenner) replied when I asked him "Do you know causes this?";

"Not really... my guess is "algae" photosynthesizing, liberated gas caught under slime/exudate or actual coral tissue. How could one test for such? B"

This is what Bob (Fenner) replied when I asked him "Do you know causes this?";

"Not really... my guess is "algae" photosynthesizing, liberated gas caught under slime/exudate or actual coral tissue. How could one test for such? B"

You didn't tell him his crew was hanging out over here did you? :eek:

You didn't tell him his crew was hanging out over here did you? :eek:

busted :)

Sihaya thanks for the great answer, i would have thought something like internal aspiration from the algae etc as well... maybe the food sent it into overdrive

you should tell him. Maybe hed like to hang out here too.

damn that would be cool, even have his own forum

Back
Top Bottom